C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 12:09 PM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow?

Now I know I'll probably get a lot of crap for this question, but here it is: has anyone ever experienced many problems while driving the Corvette in winter, especially in snow and ice? When I buy a Corvette (still hoping for an '82! :-)) it will replace my current car, which is a Nissan 200SX. I was wondering if the clearance height on the 'Vette (about 6 inches I think, which is the same as my 200SX), or the 200HP, or the rear wheel drive, or anything like that, will make it impossible to use the Corvette as an everyday car, like on ice and snow and stuff. (I wouldn't take the Corvette out as much in the snow as the 200SX if possible, but I just in case...)

Any ideas/opinions/advice? I guess the only possible thing I can think of right now to help with traction and all would be to throw sandbags in the trunk when it's bad out.

-Paul

P.S. I don't mind if you reply telling me how stupid I am for taking a Corvette out in the snow in the first place (because I wouldn't if I didn't have to), as long as you contribute. :D
Old 01-19-2002, 12:32 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow? (VetteGoVroom82)

well its snowing now here and ill be heading to work when they call me in and ill be driving it . :D
Old 01-19-2002, 12:43 PM
1yy07
Racer

If you have to, just try to stay far away from other cars. :rolleyes: :eek:
Old 01-19-2002, 12:57 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VetteGoVroom82-You shouldn’t have too much trouble. Be careful accelerating in turns. Corvette has posi-traction, which can cause the rear to slip during wet or snowy condition. The posi-traction will help you gain traction on ice from a stop. My vette has allergies to snow, ice and rain.
Dan
Old 01-19-2002, 01:00 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with everything that was said. I've never had my 'Vette out in the snow but I would guess that you would want to drive nice and slow. The 'Vette's positraction is a positive, especially with winter driving. Just be careful. :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 01:22 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

I had to drive my Vette in the snow when it was my only ride. If you take it slow you shouldn't have any problems. Just be careful because it can get sideways on you.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:23 PM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Thanks a ton for the help, guys. By the way, what exactly is posi-traction, and do all Corvettes have it?

-Paul
Old 01-19-2002, 01:23 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow? (bence13_33)

Bence: I'm pretty sure that driving on snow or ice will be a big negative for our cars by the time we're done :jester
Old 01-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Sean Willard
Instructor

I've never had my vette on snow and don't ever plan to if I can help it, but I used to drive an RX-7 as a daily driver in the winter which is also rear wheel drive. I used to put a sand bag in the trunk and studded snow tires (check your state regulations they might not be legal) on the rear wheels. It was a handfull at best on snow and especially on the ice. I had problems when the snow was deep due to its low ground clearance. My best advise is to find an old beater truck to drive when the roads are not suitable for the vette. I drive an older K-5 Blazer from Novomber to April, and I sure appreciate the corvette more when she comes out of storage in the spring. Anyway good luck and be safe!
:cheers:

77' L-82 4spd

Get notified of new replies

To Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow?

Quick Reply: Driving the 'Vette in winter/snow?