C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:21 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends

Has anybody used the VB&P heavy duty struts with the spherical rod ends? If so, do the ends pivot and thus allow the strut rod to angle slightly forward if necessary?

The reason for my question is this: My frame is slightly tweaked on the drivers side. I have the rear suspension and trailing arms off the car and now can see exactly where the bend is- right over the wheel. The old strut rod and half-shaft angled slightly forward because of the frame problem. The old strut bushings were completely shot and thus allowed the flexibility but the new VB&P poly adjustable rods I ordered don't look like they have any give at all and I may not be able to get them installed as a result. I planned on getting the frame looked at once I got things back together- at the same time as an alignment. Thanks in advance.

Rob :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 03:24 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends (R. Bruno)

Rod ends do have some ability to pivot in the manner in which you speak - there is a limit though based on the thickness of the head of the rod end before the bolt that goes through the end begins to bind. there is no give there so if you get intoa a binding conditions it becomes a bending condition.

As to specifically about VB struts - cant say
Old 01-19-2002, 08:41 AM
DeenHylton
Racer

I have the VB&P racing struts and they can angle to the front or rear of the car. Mine came with spacers that go on each side of the rod end (about one inch in diameter with a hole for the bolt and about 1/2 inch thick) They allow the rod end to swivel in a wider arc.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:59 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends (DeenHylton)

79 and older have strut rods in parallel with rear end and bearing carrier. 1980 and up the rear end and bearing carrier were not parallel. I used the rod end links on mine with no problems. With rods ends they are the same for all years. With stock type struts the 80 and up are different because of the offset ends.

Old 01-19-2002, 10:45 AM
shawn_cake
Racer

I have used the Vette Brakes Performance Suspension kit which contains the smart struts. Great quality. When the alignment is done, clean the threads with "BRAKE KLEEN", and use 2 - 4 drops of red LocTite on the Heim Joint and the jam nut.

:cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 12:25 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If anyone is interested i have an extra set-up for sale, complete with the "good" heim joints (rod ends),bars,and the pre welded camber bar bracket. used but in excellent condition $150.+UPS I also have a new set for $225.+UPS PLEASE e-mail me directly! redvetracr@aol.com

PS: You all should also know ANY HD camber bar/strut bar set-up that uses heims/rod ends with grease fittings uses the CHEAP heim/rod ends. Expensive heim joints/rod ends do NOT have grease fittings!
Old 01-20-2002, 02:17 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends (shawn_cake)

Thanks all for the responses- enormously helpful. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends

Quick Reply: heavy duty struts w/ spherical rod ends