C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found steering problem :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found steering problem :-)

Hopefully......I found my steering problem. I put it on the rack for a better inspection. The bottom A-frame bushings on the drivers side were gone and the ones one the passagers side were almost gone.
In the rear...I think it's called the control arm-to-spindle support....bushings are worn out or gone....spindle support strut....bushings are worn or gone also.
Hope to get these replaced first of the week. Then a four wheel alignment. Maybe I'll be back to doing the speed limit :crazy: in no time.
Can't begin to say THANKS :yesnod: to everyone who helped me with this problem. :cheers:
Old 01-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: found steering problem :-) (Teresa)

Can't begin to say THANKS :yesnod: to everyone who helped me with this problem. :cheers:
That's what the forum is for. Glad you found the problems.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:29 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Teresa,
I'm glad you found your problem, But I must ask how did the shop aline the car and miss, or ever have been able to do an alinement with shot bushing. The front end must of been clunking or scraping. Also, Make sure the A-frames themselves are not damaged. This is an ULTRA IMPORTANT part. There's an awful lot of pressure on the lower A frames. Be careful and have a GOOD mechanic inspect and repair this condition. good luck. :yesnod:
Old 01-18-2002, 08:34 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: found steering problem :-) (killain)

that should certainly help, good luck with that :)
Old 01-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Teresa,
I'm glad that you found the problems. You should find a good alignment shop to do a four wheel alignment after replacing your parts. You should demand your money back from the first hacks. It is inexcusable that a shop would not catch the problems that you listed.

Jim Shea
Old 01-18-2002, 09:21 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya Hey, Teresa glad to see that you have gotten to the root of the problem and that's good info for the rest of us! :yesnod: Thanks :cheers: ...I thought I would post a picture of a Vette I painted back in 99' :cool: Everytime I see a pic of your Vette it reminds of the the one I painted! :D It's a Pearl White (Gold & Silver Pearl)
Old 01-18-2002, 09:29 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Default Re: found steering problem :-) (Intimidator454)

Great job Intimidator 454......That's a beautiful paint job and a beautiful car
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 01-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Teresa
Advanced

Default Re: found steering problem :-) (Jim Shea)

Jim & Killain,
I don't know how the first alignment guy missed all those bad bushings but even I (not knowing much about the underside of my Vette) could tell they were bad. I am learning more and more about my car because I am finding out more and more mechanic don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Vette repair. (especially around here). When I got my Vette up on the rack today and started wiggling things and saw metal rubbing where rubber should be..well....the rest was easy. I just checked everything that moved.
But I wouldn't have known where to start without you guys.
And believe me....the "alignment" guy (I use that term loosely) will know what an A-frame bushing is when I see him again. :boxing
Thanks again :) :seeya
Old 01-18-2002, 10:48 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a little work there, but hopefully, it'll take care of the problem.

Good Luck!

I have to agree with the other posts about the first alignment shop, it sounds like they missed something really serious.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:24 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Teresa,
I,too,hope you have located your steering problem.I also hope that when you see the "alignment" person again that you impress upon him/her the fact that they endangered your life.I am no mechanic,but imagine by your description of your cars road handling ,that a sudden lurch in the wrong direction could have been disastrous.
tankman :seeya
Old 01-20-2002, 10:33 PM
pittspilot
6th Gear

Default Re: found steering problem :-) (tankman)

Just a note: I had a similar problem. I spent over $3,000. to try to fix it. What it all came down to was that when NTB did the alignment, they got the steering box "off center". Please be sure that who ever does the alignment, know a little about vette steering. They had no idea and I had to do it with their own machine to explain it to them. Mine is like going down a train track now.
dde
Old 01-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This will probably not be necessary for your current problem but a $30.00 investment in these stainless steel (SS) shims will do wonders for the rear alignment. Now, getting those trailing arms bolts out to install them is a task that I do not look forward to....but will do in the spring.

[Modified by paul79, 9:58 PM 1/20/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To found steering problem :-)

Quick Reply: found steering problem :-)