C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick Flow Heads Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 06:37 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trick Flow Heads Help

A very bad influence is trying to convince me that I need some of those 23 deg. Trick Flow heads that summit is carrying for $895. Sounds a good solution. Here's what I got now:

268h Comp Cams
Edelbrock EGR Intake
Heddman Headers #68301
true 2.5" duals back to Super Turbo mufflers

What else would I need to buy in order to put these bad boys on? And how much HP do you think I would gain? I would like to have enough to bark the tires when shifting into 2nd at least. :) I have 3.55s.
thanks!
-terry
Old 01-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (terryrudy)

I need to see your car man, I want to hear what it sounds like. Cam aside, your setup's identical to what mine'll be in a couple months.
All you need for the heads is a good pair of head gaskets(TFS probably includes junk ones), and you'll prolly be at about 330-340 hp(I'll desktop dyno when I get home), much higher if you raise the compression by swapping out pistons, but that's probably a little too much work.
By the way, where have you been?
-Steve

[Modified by Pacin'California, 4:26 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better heads would be a logical next step and those seem like a match for your combo. I don't know if their 50+ hp claims are accurate but I'd expect a noticable increase. Besides the better airflow, the increase in cr will help make more power. You'll need new gaskets (head, intake, exhaust, etc.) and you may need different length pushrods You might check with Hedman about compatibility. I don't know if these heads are angle plug but some headers don't work so well if they are. Like any project where you're removing and replacing parts, also consider replacing those that might be near the end of their useful life anyway (belts, hoses, etc.). If no other mods are being made at the same time and new pushrods are required, allow about $200 for misc..
Old 01-18-2002, 10:58 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (Vetterodder)

Nice heads...best value available! Check out the TFS' Manual under Installation Notes for a list of recommended parts:

http://www.trickflow.com/media/pr/pdf/23degree.pdf

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 10:00 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 11:25 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Your set up should bark the tires sifting into second the way it is. Have you checked your timing to see if it is set for performance?
Old 01-19-2002, 01:22 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Beware of TFs. I had a set that broke two OE springs and wore out the guides in 5,000 miles. After I replaced all springs and guides, they performed well. If I had it to do again, I'd pay more for some AFRs or CNCd L98 heads.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:48 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (flynhi)

My 23 degree TFS heads are angled plugs and I run headers on it with no problems. According to TFS, the spark plugs have been relocated to enhance spark fire in the hole.
Neil in Tenn
Old 01-20-2002, 01:17 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (flynhi)

Beware of TFs. I had a set that broke two OE springs and wore out the guides in 5,000 miles. After I replaced all springs and guides, they performed well. If I had it to do again, I'd pay more for some AFRs or CNCd L98 heads.
In all fairness, springs & guides just don't grenade like that unless there is geometry problem (i.e. incorrect pushrod length, spring height, rocker lash, etc.). What ratio rocker & pushrod length were you running? I know plenty of people using the 23d TFS heads & they (including myself) have had no problems after extended use.

Mark
Old 01-20-2002, 10:07 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (mdsmith)

Yeah it sounds more like He had the Twisted Wedge heads that the 23's.Those 23's heads have had a price increase of 200.00 over the last two years.

Terry,
Have you seen the Dart Iron Eagle 180 cast iron heads? They match your other parts combination a little better and cost less.Still a good improvement over old fuelie heads,ect.

[Modified by mountainmotor, 8:12 AM 1/20/2002]

[Modified by mountainmotor, 8:14 AM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 12:29 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Trick Flow Heads Help (mountainmotor)

THANKS a lot for the help and advice guys. Much appreciated. Mountain, I'm all for saving $, but a big point for me is aluminum heads. I'm trying to save weight on thsi car as much as possible. And not sure if Darts are street legal anyway. And even if they are, I think I would still pay a little more to shave off the weight with aluminum heads. THANKS!

Maybe if I had the stock rubber I could bark the tires, I'm guessing with my stickier Z-rated 17" wheels, it may be tougher to bark 'em. Or it could be my tranny - it shifts pretty weak. Next major upgrade is an overdrive tranny with a shift kit. Guess I should probably figure out all that stall converter mumbo-jumbo too. And maybe toss in some 4.11's or something more agreesive to go along with the overdrive. But that'll be for another day.
thanks again,
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To Trick Flow Heads Help

Quick Reply: Trick Flow Heads Help