C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody showed a car a at show Before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Fins2ya
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody showed a car a at show Before?

I am thinking about showing my 72 in the desert storm show in Tempe in Feb.
What should I expect? What class should I show in. Any suggestions? :cheers:
Old 01-18-2002, 06:41 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (Fins2ya)

I have "shown" my car several times and find most amateur type shows make their own rules.
For example, I have been told by judges that my car was the best entry in the 68 - 82 Corvette class, but they thought they should award the top prize to a more factory correct car that was of lesser quality.
And when I've entered in the "street machine" or "muscle car" classes I was basically ingnored cause it's a "vette".
It still can be a lot of fun, and I have won several awards...ya just have to learn the rules of the game :yesnod:
Old 01-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

What kind of show is it? Show & Shine, NCCC, WSCC? Do you have any modifications? Wheels, none stock chrome? Need more information. Most shows have people that check the cars to make sure they are in the proper class.

Old 01-18-2002, 06:49 PM
Fins2ya
Advanced

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (Steve Grodin)

Its sponsored by NCCC, The car is all stock, in great shape.
They have a concorse judging class? and the Entrants class.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:54 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Usually you have at least a "Show and Shine" class, which judges strictly on the look of the car. Originality isn't judged. This class usually has all the modified, chromed out machines. In big shows, the winners of this class are usually Awesome Looking :eek:

The other class is the "Concource" class which judges on originality. The top awards here don't always go to the best looking car in the competition.

Either way, I look at shows as a way to show off my Vette and learn what I need to do to make mine better for the next one. Some people take these shows way too seriously!! There is enough in this life to stress out over...car shows should be fun and relaxing!! :cheers:
Old 01-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Fins2ya
Advanced

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (QikStik)

Thanks for the info, How's charlotte, I use to live in Rain tree.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:23 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Charlotte is great! We've been here since '94 and love it. Growing a little too fast for its own good though.

I've heard of RainTree, but I'm not sure where it is.

Tell us a little more about your '72!! Any pics?

BTW, let us know how the show goes!!

Good luck!!! :seeya

Mark
Old 01-18-2002, 08:51 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

After showing my car for quite a few years I've learned a few things. The first and most important thing to realize is that showing your car should be fun. You will meet a lot of very nice people and generally have a good time. Each show has it's own rules and you get to know what the judges expect. If your car isn't stock then don't put it in the stock class and expect to win against a correct model. The judges will be forced to give the nod to the correct car. If your car is modified make sure that the mods are well done and the car is detailed well. Neatness goes a long way towards getting the judges attention. Lastly, be prepared to lose more often than you win but don't let it bother you. Remember that you're showing off your car and your skills and if you're proud of what you've done you're a winner already. Have fun.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:15 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (QikStik)

I have participated in NCCC shows many times as an entrant and a judge. If your car is stock you can either enter it in concourse prepared, street/show or wash and show. In wash and show you do not show your engine compartment, but are judged mainly on cleanliness and condition of your exterior and interior. Some leaveway is given for normal wear and tear. In Street/ show you will show your engine and the judges will be looking for dirt and grease so cleanliness is very important. Concourse prepared is often trailered cars that are immacculate. For your first show just go early, be prepared to clean and wipe as long as you can and talk to some people who have done this a few times. Most of all have fun and enjoy showing your car. Good Luck, Craig :chevy
Old 01-18-2002, 10:30 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (vettfixr)

The first and most important thing to realize is that showing your car should be fun. ....... Remember that you're showing off your car and your skills and if you're proud of what you've done you're a winner already. Have fun.
of course I mean that in only the best of ways Al!!!! Well said!

How ya been BTW???!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:35 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I personally got tired of competing in car shows, it got to be more of a clean contest then a cool contest and I hated standing around my car all day trying to keep every hand print off of it. I'm not trying to be sour grapes here or anything since I did very well competing with the 86 except when they put me in the 84-present class so my 70k mile car is competing against a 3k mile car with the window sticker still on it :rolleyes: , I guess competing with new cars all the time kinda ruined that part of it for me. I still love going to car shows but I always go in for display only anymore. This way I don't have to spend all day hovering over my vette but I can browse and talk to everyone else and I have a lot more fun doing that. :yesnod:

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-18-2002, 11:33 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (73 LS-4)

Here in the West Palm Beach area I can go to a show 4 nights a week. I always go once, no trophies but alot of fun.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:39 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Glad to see I have a replacement. I did the show circuit for about 8 years and decided to give it up. It got a little boring and I got real tired of the stupid comments and bs stories.

You’ll have a good time meeting new people that are very willing to help you out and it’s a good place to learn restoration ideas and techniques, but be prepared for the ignorance. You’ll get comments like “Is that a 351 Cleveland?” or “My next door neighbor had a early Vette, 61 I think it was... you know, the ones that weren’t made of fiberglass...”

All and all the show circuit is a good time and it will be a benefit for as long as you need it to be. Just remember to not take it too seriously and let the negative comments roll off like water on a ducks back.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:42 AM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (63Banshee)

I've shown my car the last 4 years with some very good success, 4 first places, one best engine and one best interior. I had one bad experience last year that has me thinking twice about participating this year. If I participate I will ask that my car not be judged in that particular show!
Old 01-19-2002, 10:58 AM
yosshimura
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (63Banshee)

. You’ll get comments like “Is that a 351 Cleveland?” or “My next door neighbor had a early Vette, 61 I think it was... you know, the ones that weren’t made of fiberglass...”
You mean like the ones I have heard once or twice only, "that's a supercharger" or "I race GNX's all the time on the street" (thats like somebody saying they reace ZR1's all the time :rolleyes: ) :D
Old 01-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Xracer
Safety Car

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (Red73)

I've shown my car the last 4 years with some very good success, 4 first places, one best engine and one best interior. I had one bad experience last year that has me thinking twice about participating this year. If I participate I will ask that my car not be judged in that particular show!
Father's Day?
Old 01-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (Xracer)

Bingo, the winner and still champion, Xracer. I have paid my entry fee for this year, I will just have my car in the show and not participate in the judging. I want to show my support for the vette club and corvettes, but I refuse to participate in the politics. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody showed a car a at show Before?

Old 01-19-2002, 02:31 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Rod,

Tell you what, since my car won't be in the running for anything other than being ugly, we should go have a great time and forget what people say or do and have some fun. There will be some great cars to see and plenty of stories to swap. So lets have some fun.

Joe

[Modified by Xracer, 1:33 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before? (Xracer)

Joe, I'll be there. I'm starting to enjoy cruise nights more than car shows for that reason. You see cool cars, great ideas and it's fun. Rod
Old 01-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Rod,

Got any favorite places to get my half-shafts cleaned-up. They are messy. Also did you have yours balanced.

Joe

Quick Reply: Has anybody showed a car a at show Before?