C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did someone say.....good grief!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:15 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did someone say.....good grief!?

A few days ago...there was a post about stuff we didnt want to do again. Well...anyone going into the steering colunm.....good luck. What a job. The corvettefaq.com proceedures by Jim Shea however...made all the difference in the world. I was shooting in the dark till Jim told me about those. Actually made it fairly easy. That..and a manual impact screw driver that is...lol. Needed that to get the colunm head screws loose. Guess I dont have the juice I used to...lol.

Anyway...when the colunm head came off...so did a bunch of little peices parts...(I hate when that happens.) So...I have a broken pivot Assy, a couple of little spring clips that I have not yet identified...and a small white plastic....TIP...for a lack of a better word. Looks like it goes somewhere...but I have no clue. Its about 1/8 in diameter...and about 1/4 inch long. Any ideas? I cant seem to find it on the exploded view of the colunm.

Ron
Old 01-18-2002, 05:34 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Did someone say.....good grief!? (2ND77)

Hey Ron,
I'm also doing work on my steering column right now. Was wondering if this is what your looking at...
http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/s...rn-button.html
...piece of the horn rivet?
Good luck! :crazy:
:cheers:
Tom

[Modified by 427_Roadster, 9:35 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

I didn't need to hear this. That's next on my list. Rip out the entire column.

So while this thread is fresh I'll ask a question that didn't get answered a few months ago. I noticed that the distance between the spline on my steering box and the spline on the steering column is too far apart. Now these year GMs had an energy absorbing column that would telescope upinside themeselves. So is this fixable or do I need to get an entire new column?
Old 01-18-2002, 05:54 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Did someone say.....good grief!? (Monkeywrench)

Monkeywrench
Are you sure? Mine looked like that also whrn I put it back in I had to sssstttrrreeetttcccchhhh the rag joint. Hope you get together.

Bob
Old 01-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Did someone say.....good grief!? (76 Red)

What part is stretchiing?

This was from my last post

The 1/2 on the steering box side is supposed to clamp on the spline with the bolt running in the "groove" in the spindle (correct?) The other 1/2 clamps on the steering column spline. OK, no problems. However it seems that the distance between the two splines is too much. To have the steering column 1/2 grab at least a 1/2" I had to move the steering box side towards the steering wheel and far enough such that the bolt no longer rode in the "groove". If I left the lower 1/2 in the "correct" position then the upper 1/2 barley grabbed any of the spline.
If I installed the lower joint in the "groove" and the other one far enough back to bite enough splindle to have good contact then the bolts on the box side rag joint wouldn't even go thru the holes in the upper joint.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:16 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Default Re: Did someone say.....good grief!? (427_Roadster)

Hey Roadster.....you might be right. I will have to go back out and look at that.

Monkeywrench....go to corvettefaq.com. Jim Shea wrote some step by step proceedures there that will make it LOTS easier. If you follow those steps just like they are written...you should not have many problems. I was VERY impressed with them.

Ron
Old 01-18-2002, 06:58 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Default Re: Did someone say.....good grief!? (427_Roadster)

Hey Roadster...good try...but its not a horn rivet, so Im back to trying to figure it out along with the 2 spring clips. Ill look around on the catalogs...maybe I will see something. Zip does not seem to carry the pivot assembly...so I have to look for that too.

But..it was worth a look.

Ron
Old 01-18-2002, 07:00 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Oops...I didnt mention that the little white plastic..."tip"...looks kinda like a bullit...and has a small hole on the flat end.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Did someone say.....good grief!?

Quick Reply: Did someone say.....good grief!?