C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:07 PM
77 Stinger
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette

I have a 77 that is in great shape,except that it has about 5 layers of paint and a bunch of dings and chips. I would like to strip it and I have been told that the best way is with aviation stripper. I was also told that media blasting sucks because you get the media in every other place in the car and is a bitch to clean it all out. So, have any of you stripped a whole car and what problems did you have doing it. :crazy: :confused:
Old 01-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette (77 Stinger)

I used the Klean-Strip-safe for fiberglass stripper and it worked good. It's not to strong. I used a plastic scraper from Home Depot and it worked good for scraping it off. It really is a messy job, so wear gloves. go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and print off the acticle by Lars titled Corvette Painting Basic's. Follow that to the letter and everything will come out fine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=205923 check out this old thread, I posted the complete list of all materials that I used. Also you can see some pictures of after new paint and stripped on my web site. Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:24 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette (77 Stinger)

I intend to media blast mine BUT I will have the body removed from the frame so that makes a big difference in your decision. I think I would probably media blast it even if I was in your situation. The reason is that chemical strippers are very messy. All the paint ends up on the floor in the form of a stripper/paint goop. I believe that you could get the media cleaned out of the car with an air hose and nozzel and a shop vac. Another alternative I have heard about is a heat gun and a razor blade. The idea here is to heat the paint up till softened and then scrape it away. You have to really be careful not to damage the 'glass underneath. And then there is the tried and true method of sanding the paint away. This is probably the safest way to strip the car down to bare fiberglass although it would be a long process with many layers of paint to cut through.

dl

Old 01-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Need help with undressing (Paul 75 L82)

Paul, Yes media blasting does get everywhere. I'm still vacuming it up. However, it does do what it's supposed to do. My shark was just completed last thanksgiving. Painted that is. Came out real pretty. I alway thought aviation stripper was a no-no. I'm not sure but isn't that the stuff that once applied to plastics it just keeps on eating away. Be careful. :eek: L8TER, Paul.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:58 PM
77 Stinger
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need help with undressing (Paul 75 L82)

Thanks for the links. They are great. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette

Quick Reply: Need help with undressing (stripping) a Vette