C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM
ACLR810
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's?

I bought the Chambered exhasut system (header type) from Mid-America and am waiting to get the headers. Has anyone installed or used this system and what do you think of it? I ran into a guy at Bloomington Gold who had it and I loved the sound. It's a 2 1/2" system, but where the mufflers starts its necked down to about 2", which concerns me a bit. Anyone got any experience? I haven't installed it yet so I could return it if necessary.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:52 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (ACLR810)

I have chambered system made by Allen (now owned by Dynomax) coupled with Hooker Supercomps. You'll love the sound and the 2" won't hurt you unless you are planning to be more then 450hp.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:56 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the sound of mine.....nice burble at idle, ok for cruisin, and a great sound at WOT.....my motor is only mildly warm so am not too concerned about any restriction issues, I just know its tons better than 2 Y-Pipes and that sound is more than enuff for me..... :D :flag :seeya
Old 01-18-2002, 12:57 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (Marks69BB)

What's the story on Allen's and Dynomax??
gary
Old 01-18-2002, 01:00 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

I too have Allen's 2.5" on my 69 with headers. I had a local shop tie them in and install a 2" cross over. The cross over made a big difference compared to when I was driving it around connected to flexpipe. The only thign I didn't like was the shop welded it in so I'll have to cut it out when the time comes to restore the car in a year or two.
Gary
Old 01-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (gtr1999)

Not that I can do anything about it now, but what is the advantage (or disadvantage) of using 2" pipe for the balance tube when you have 2.5" exhaust?

I got Mid America's true duals and had a balance tube installed but I stayed with the 2.5" for the balance tube. Was that a mistake or does it really matter?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:56 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (sharklover)

I don't know if that was a mistake or not. I was told I could go smaller and it wouldn't make a difference. I wanted it a close to the headers as possible so the 2" was fit in front of the tranny,behind the bellhousing. It's actually a slight "V" shape.
Gary
Old 01-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (gtr1999)

Ok. That makes since. When I got my balance tube installed, the guy asked if I wanted 2" or 2.5" and I sayed stay with the same size. Mine is behind the tranny crossmember. I would have liked to have it closer to the engine but had to put it where I had the most space. Of course, now that I think about it. I probably could have gone with a 2" right under the oil pan where the stock Y-pipe used to be since I don't have headers yet. Granted, that would mean getting another balance tube put in farther back after installing headers, but that's a long way down the road for me. I'm a bit strapped for cash right now and it will be awhile before I can do all that I want. :(
Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Way too restrictive! The best place for the mufflers is at the end of the ex.!
The closer to stock one is, the more likely one would like it.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's? (Ganey)

The closer to stock one is, the more likely one would like it.
That depends on what stock is. In my 79, I don't want stock, I want true duals. I have true duals. :D With Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's on the end. The only thing close to stock about my exhaust, is the fact that I still have the original rams horn manifolds (with A.I.R. holes plugged) and the way the mufflers are tucked up under the rear. Not quite tucked away as close as stock, but as close as possible for the mufflers. Sounds great too. No cats to worry about, just two straight pipes with a balance tube and some good sounding mufflers. I would have preferred to go with Borla, just couldn't afford it at the time.

Anyway, I know your referring to the setup of the chambered system, just wanted to clarify your statement for you since I knew what you meant. :D

[Modified by sharklover, 8:18 PM 1/18/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's?

Quick Reply: Mid America Chambered exhaust system, any user's?