C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 12:38 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz

Hi
I was wondering if any of you history buffs would know if there was a special factory race body (flared fenders, possibly a lighter composite) that could be ordered in 1970. I am looking at a 70 LT1-ZR1 Roadster that is supposedly one of 3 cars that were special ordered together as race cars then yada,yada.. The build sheet does read LT-1 and ZR-1. The car seems to be well documented. I was hoping to figure out if the body was some kinda aftermarket job or if it could have been ordered this way. It does look exactly like a factory racer, w/ flared fenders and large side-pipes.
any ideas???
Old 01-18-2002, 01:12 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz (livin)

I have heard that for a time the factory sold flares, but that you had to mold them on yourself. Also there was a zr-1 option back about then; HD brakes, no radio, stuff like that. If you are serious, I can get off by butt and look up what I have, but am no expert in the area.

George
Old 01-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 432 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz

I was wondering if any of you history buffs would know if there was a special factory race body (flared fenders, possibly a lighter composite) that could be ordered in 1970.
The only "lightweight" Corvettes that I am aware of that were built and sold during the 1968-72 time frame were a group (four cars I'm told) of 1969 L-88s built late in the 1968 calendar year. In addition to lighter bodies, these cars also were the first to be equipped with the open chamber aluminum heads. These cars went directly into the hands of acknowledged racers to be used during the 1969 season. There were headers, side exit exhaust, and fender flares available, but my understanding is that these parts were easily purchased from Chevrolet, they were not installed at the factory on these cars.

I am looking at a 70 LT1-ZR1 Roadster that is supposedly one of 3 cars that were special ordered together as race cars then yada,yada. The build sheet does read LT-1 and ZR-1. The car seems to be well documented. I was hoping to figure out if the body was some kinda aftermarket job or if it could have been ordered this way. It does look exactly like a factory racer, w/ flared fenders and large side-pipes. any ideas???
Sounds like an interesting car. As I mentioned, the only special cars that I'm aware of were the 1969 L-88s that I just described. Flares and headers/side exhaust were very popular (still are in some circles) and were available from the Chevrolet parts network so their presence doesn't necessarily indicate a factory effort. You'll need to do some research to determine what the actual story is. I remember listening to members of V.V. Cooke's racing team (who ran an incredibly successful B/Production Corvette during the late 1960s/early 1970s) talk about their choice of running an L-46 engine. From what they said, it seems that the SCCA felt the LT-1 would give Chevrolet too much of an edge in B/P and bumped it to A/P where it would have to run against L-88s, 427 Cobras and the like... I doubt that Chevrolet would put a lot of time and money into a project that wouldn't be competitive. Still, stranger things have happened.

I know of two ZR-1s for sale up your way... A '71 and a '72, but I've heard nothing about a 1970. I'd be curious to hear the details about this car if you get the opportunity.

Regards,
Old 01-18-2002, 03:03 PM
livin
Drifting

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz (Rowdy Rat)

Thanks for the educated responses. :cool: As I learn more about the car, I will post more. I sure am happy about this potential deal. So far all I know is that the guy said there were 3 ZR-1/LT-1 cars ordered by the same guy who's intent was racing. The conv. owner or driver or son of the owner died at war and the car sat in storage for years. It was bought by a dealer and given to his son, who put a radio in it, and lost the dummy radio delete plate. The car was frame off restored in 96 and is RADICAL. The #'s match, it is the original 370 hp version of the LT-1, blueprinted, balanced etc... It looks like a total hot rod, but that is kinda what I am looking for. :lol: :lol:
Like I said I will post all updates. :cool:
by the way Rowdy Rat, that L89 is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Did you actually take that pic in St.Louis or did you do it on the computer.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Like I said I will post all updates.
That would be great! I am always interested in hearing about these old race cars... I know that there are others here who feel the same way.

by the way Rowdy Rat, that L89 is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you actually take that pic in St.Louis or did you do it on the computer.
Thanks for the kind words about the '69! I really get a kick out of driving it and have had it at quite a few events around the country.

The photo in my signature is an actual photo that was taken in Collinsville, IL (just outside of St. Louis). The backdrop is not actually a building, but a large canvas that was painted by Dana Forrester (his prints are advertised in several vendor catalogs) for the 1998 NCRS National Convention. The cars were photographed in front of it before they went inside for the show.

The canvas was raffled off at the end of the convention.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2002, 12:30 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

"Anything" is possible BUT i am NOT buying it! I also know (for a fact) the third car built by the Owens-Corning fiberglass team, who was as close to being a "factory team" as possible was built from a recovered theft they got from Don Yenko (basically a street car). A Corvette with a 350" always ran SCCA in b/p and the big blocks always ran in a/p. The ONLY "lightweight" Corvettes built (that i have ever heard of) were the 5 Grand Sports. Flares and aluminum big blocks YES, a lightweight racing C-3`s, doubtful.
.......redvetracr

PS: You are now looking at the third car built by the Owens-Corning racing team, Documented 100% !
Old 01-19-2002, 02:09 AM
livin
Drifting

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz (redvetracr)

I am not sure if this car was a factory racer, or just a group of three ZR-1/LT-1 cars special ordered from either the dealer or Chevy w/ the flared fenders and special sidemount exhaust.
I am not trying to say that the car was a special lightweight composite, I was just asking if there were any. The rear HAS NOT been cut for under car exhaust. The ZR-1 package is on the build sheet, hard to read. I am told the car is totally documented from day 1. The seller is out of town, and the car is in another town alltogether. This would explain what is taking so long, and why my story may change a little, as I have seen the car in person twice, but I have only met the seller over the phone.
again I will keep you guys posted. :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 02:32 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

If it can be documented to be a ZR1 then it could be valuable. Only 25 ZR1s were built in 70. Flairs and side pipes were not a factory option but the were available over the counter from the Chevy parts department. The flairs were designed for the L88s and ZL1s but any one could buy them and the "Hooker" style side pipes were also available from the Chevy parts man. Could be that the dealer modified the cars or the first owner did. They did not come like that off the assembly line.

ZR1 came with the LT1, M22 trans, h/d pb, transistor ignition, special aluminum radiator, special springs/shocks/front stabilizer bar, and metal fan shroud. It was not availabe with pw, rear defogger, A/C, p/s, deluxe wheel covers, alarm system, or radio.

tom...
Old 01-19-2002, 12:43 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

"Anything" is possible BUT i am NOT buying it! I also know (for a fact) the third car built by the Owens-Corning fiberglass team, who was as close to being a "factory team" as possible was built from a recovered theft they got from Don Yenko (basically a street car).
There were at least four lightweight L-88s that are curently known... Two of which were Owens-Corning cars (originally driven by DeLorenzo and Esseks). One of the other two was raced by Herb Caplan (and later Elliot Forbes Robinson) and is currently for sale. I'm not very familiar with the other (Costanza) car, but I'm sure that I could find out something about it if you're interested.

A Corvette with a 350" always ran SCCA in b/p and the big blocks always ran in a/p. The ONLY "lightweight" Corvettes built (that i have ever heard of) were the 5 Grand Sports. Flares and aluminum big blocks YES, a lightweight racing C-3`s, doubtful.
This was always my understanding of A/P - B/P as well; however, I'm only repeating what I heard from members of the V. V. Cooke team... They had originally intended to run an LT-1, but went with the L-46 due to classification issues. I don't know what the real story is, but I'm sure that they do so I'll stick with their explanation for the time being.

As far as the lightweight L-88s go, I thought that this was old news... I guess it isn't. I doubt that Chevrolet would have gone to all the effort with a small block since they only saw the need for four big block cars as it was. Still, you never know...

Regards,
Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz (Rowdy Rat)

Rowdy Rat,
Are you aware that the three Owens-Corning built cars were built in different years! The first one was built in`68 from parts the next in`69 and mine was built in`70. I`m still not buying it! ......redvetracr

PS: I see Tony Delorenzo every year in July at Road America and will ask him about "lightweight" cars.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:31 AM
livin
Drifting

Default Re: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz (redvetracr)

I can't believe I am talking to people w/ such amazing cars :cool: I hope that this deal is solid and I will be as fortunate as you guys. Not that I don't feel special w/ a 69 427 Roadster already, cause I do.. just think this 70 would make a better :)
What can I find out with the serial number?
Old 01-20-2002, 02:36 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

What can I find out with the serial number?
In 70 all the VIN will tell you is if it was a coupe/conv and its build sequence.

tom...

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz

Quick Reply: Factory Race Bodies??????? History Quiz