C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding P. Steering Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rebuilding P. Steering Valve

My power steering valve is puking fluid all over itself. Untill I clean up the yrs of fluid and crud, I can't accuratly diagnose the problem, if it's hoses, o-ring, or gaskets?? How hard is it to rebuild the valve? I see the rebuild kits and hoses in the catalogs, and would prefer that to buying new. I never did this before and was wondering what to expect? :confused: :confused:
Thanks Guys :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-17-2002, 06:29 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding P. Steering Valve (Silvr77)

The kit comes with pretty good instructions. It's just a matter of keeping everything you take out layed out in the correct order. Just replace the old parts with the new ones as you put it back together. Only 1/2 - 1 hour job and not bad if you keep the parts organized.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:50 PM
redfisher
Heel & Toe

I just got done going through my whole PS system. New (remanufactured) pump, PSCV, and cylinder, new hoses, kit from Ecklers for $138. Got it all back together with no leaks. I did have to return the two pump-to-PSCV hoses once, they both leaked around the rubber crimp joint.

Sure is nice to have it all clean down there with no puddles where I park. Don't know how long it will stay that way though. That's a pretty screwy setup for power steering, looks like a high potential for failure. I don't know why they didn't use an internally assisted steering box?

Question - My pump has the reservoir attached, have to take thealternator off to check/add fluid. Does anyone else have this problem? Was this car supposed to have a remote reservoir?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:39 PM
JD/76-ZZ4
Heel & Toe

A note on NAPA PS valves....I purchased 4 NAPA valves before I gave up on them....One leaked immediately and the others lasted up to about 200 miles....They tried to tell me that "something" was causing them to leak (besides poor quality control in the rebuild)....Finally my mechanic replaced it with an Auto Zone valve and (knock on wood), not one leak....Just a note..

[Modified by JD/76-ZZ4, 6:42 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 09:20 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rebuilding P. Steering Valve (JD/76-ZZ4)

Rebuilding the control valve is super easy, just make sure its worth rebuilding. I paid $20CA for the seals, and $60 CA for a newball stud and rubber boot. Its leaking again, but this was just a stop gap measure before the car goes away to be restored.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, doesn't sound hard at all. I'm the kind of guy who (most of the time) wants to know what he's getting into before he dives! I think I'll give it a go. Here we go again.....waiting for that big brown truck. Man I hate that part! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-17-2002, 10:30 PM
pittspilot
6th Gear

Corvette Stainless Stel Brakes. I went through several then called them. He owns the pattent on the seals. I got mine for around $75.00. Rebuilt and centered. " A Total No Brainer" :reddevil
Old 01-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Rebuilding P. Steering Valve (pittspilot)

I have posted four pages from the Chevrolet Shop Manual on how to rebuild the control valve. The fifth page is a cutaway with some sketches that I made showing a better view of how to install the vee block seal and the annulus seal. Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. Download Control Valve Overhaul Instructions #1 through #5.

Hope this helps.

Jim Shea
Old 01-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rebuilding P. Steering Valve (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim: I will do my homework..even though I'm at work!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding P. Steering Valve

Quick Reply: Rebuilding P. Steering Valve