C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI coil advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 06:04 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEI coil advice

I'd like to replace my stock coil just for fun...mostly to see if it's in bad shape. My question is: Is it worth the extra $$ for the 40,000+ volts coil? Or should I stick with stock? Also, will more volts be detrimental to any other parts on my engine?

I'm looking at a flamethrower coil but don't plan on getting into any control boxes...any have any better suggestions?

Thanks,
Ted
Old 01-17-2002, 08:58 PM
JD/76-ZZ4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HEI coil advice (love to drive)

I am running an Accel HEI Supercoil which someday will replace with one from http://performancedistributors.com . I think those coils serve as "nice insurance". I haven't noticed anything really different with the current one I have on. DUI advertises the possibility of opening the plugs a bit wider....
Old 01-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My Accel Super coil basically serves the purpose of making it slightly more difficult to to with the distributor. Other than that, it's no more effective than the stock coil. I was told that you really don't need to play with coils until you've got a motor that comes alive past 6k.
-Steve
Old 01-18-2002, 03:08 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

more power=good! more voltage won't hurt anything. the more voltage you have on tap the fatter the spark in the cylinder, always a good thing. if the engine never goes over, say, 4 grand, go ahead and open up the plugs another .005.
BTW, jacob's pro street ignition at .080 gap!

Get notified of new replies

To HEI coil advice

Quick Reply: HEI coil advice