C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply

I e-mailed the tech support about my sec. kicking in;

My e-mail;
My engine should make between 375 and 420 hp. The cam is at 222 @ 50 with a 470 lift. and running the 1406 carb. The sec. seems to kick in around 2800 rpm, and kicks in very soft.

My question is I have a high revving motor and really want the sec. to kick
in hard and dump lots of fuel above 3000, what setting do you recommend for jets and rod.

I was running a Holly 650 dp with mech. sec. and it was great above 3000 but
dumped too much fuel at the lower RPM and the Edel. 1406 is great at the low
RPM. Please advise. thanks in advance.

Edelbrock response;
well, how does it run with the stock jetting and what do the plugs look like
after a full throttle hit? this will tell me a lot, sometimes bigger isn't
always better. Also, we can not recommend this because we haven't done any
long term testing with it, but I have seen some guys remove the secondary
air valve from the carb and it allows the secondaries to get air a lot
quicker.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (Tominator)

Give it a shot and see what happens..You can always replace it
Old 01-17-2002, 04:55 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (Alwyn678)

interesting thought...let us know how it works out for ya...

if it does what I am thinking, this might make for a great conversion of the 600 cfm
it might make the carb function as a carb to a 2 barrel gas economy, 4 barrel's a screaming ....

let us know.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:59 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (Alwyn678)

Give it a shot and see what happens..You can always replace it
Might end up replacing your pistons! :eek:

I cannot being to understand how an Edelbrock Tech would even allude to doing this. So maybe this is where Maurice got the idea to do this. He did it with expected results. POOR PERFORMANCE. That carb does not have the ability to richen up enough when the secondaries open without the air valve. No power valve circuit or accelerator pump on the secondaries. What you'll get is a real bad case of lean bog.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (nunus79)

E-mail GKull. George has exp. w/ the Edel. Carter. Here's a guess - you could jet up to #1405 specs., esp. the sec. - have never run that carb or seen this posted. :eek:
Old 01-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen some guys remove the secondary
air valve from the carb and it allows the secondaries to get air a lot
quicker.
I did this exact thing!!! I and have proven results on the track for the difference. I was running 14.2's with the air valve and 15.5's with out it. My car would just completly bog out taking off from a stop and just would not get going, but, once you are running, it only runs a little worse than with it. It was definatly worth the time to test it out though, it only takes about 15 minutes to remove or replace so it is a little amount of time to see if it makes a difference. One last thing on this, I DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT CARB's so take my advise with a grain of salt, I could have misdone something while taking it apart and fixed it putting it back in and never knew I had done it. :D . Good luck!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:51 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

You need to forward that back to Edelbrock and ask for a phone call from a manager.That said, the secondaries on the EB are mechanical. The air valve opens after (while) the bottom butterflies open and fuel is being drawn. Check on the right rear of the carb to see if the secondary butterflies, not the air valve, are opening all the way with the pedal. The tang should hit the stop. If that checks out, the transition to open the secodaries, is in the primary circuit. Step up springs and rods to dump enough fuel so the vacuum through the secondary butterflies off sets the weights on the air valve. With that kind of HP, I would suggest plain springs and maybe a little stretch. The accelerator pump needs to be in the first hole, Farthest away from carb. If you need to change rods and jets. the rod numbers are cruise/power smaller #= richer. Jet numbers, larger #= richer.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:28 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (7Bob3)

That air valve opens under change of engine vacuum...that's what makes it a vacuum operated secondary carb. Also the secondaries start to open at about 1/2 to 2/3 full open of the primaries. The air valve doesn't let gas flow at lower high vacuum cruise for gas mileage. Best bet to is make double sure the secondary throtle plates are openning fully. When I first got mine they weren't. I had to adjust a tang.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:53 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you try to remove the air valve? Just wondering if you had similar results to mine.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:34 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply (Maurice)

Thanks every one for their replies, unfortunaly I live in Iowa and there has not been any nice days for me to take it out of the garage to test :rolleyes:. I'm currently reading and rereading info about the Edelbrock carb. so that I can adjust it acordingly :sleep:.

Went to Autozone to look at adjustment kits for it, and the one for 1406 didn't have very big jets with it. The cost was $35.00, the kit for the 1405 had bigger jets and was $55.00 :eek:. Going to do some more reading to see if I should just get the jets (much cheaper) or if the kit (different jets springs, etc.) will help the best.

[Modified by Tominator, 8:34 AM 1/22/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Tech. support, interesting reply