C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather stripping????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 02:14 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Weather stripping????

This subject has come up several times but I can't find the old posts plus I have a couple of new questions.

1. Who has the best quality weather stripping kits?

2. All of the WS is gone off of my car. The previous owner started the project and now I have to figure out where alot of this stuff goes. Do the WS kits come with diagrams and instructions?

3. Is this a job that I can do myself? Keep in mind that I am doing everything else but final paint, upholstery and convertible top replacement.

4. When I open my doors and look in the front fender area just below the windshield frame where the top of the fender is molded to the car it doesn't look finished. Is this area supposed to be closed\smooth? I compared both sides and they look about the same so I don't think that it was a previous repair. Does a piece of WS hide this?

Thanks for the help.

[Modified by wadew10, 12:16 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 03:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (wadew10)

Weatherstripping is rediculously expensive. I got acceptable WS from Corvette rubber Toll free 1 888-216-9412 Fax 616-779-9833
They are located in Cadillac MI. While it is not as thick as stock factory WS it is perfectly accepable and very reasonable priced.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (norvalwilhelm)

Check out The Last Detail also. Good quality stuff, and great prices. I don't know if the kits come with instructions/diagrams, since I bought the pieces individually. This is definitely something anyone can do, but it's a big PITA! :yesnod:

-Pedro
Old 01-17-2002, 05:54 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (Pedro'74)

I second Corvette Rubber. Got a complete kit for my 82 CE. Relatively easy to install and you know what goes where when you see the parts.
Here's their web site to check prices. http://www.corvette-rubber.com
Old 01-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (82dukman)

I believe the stuff sold by TLD is made by Corvette Rubber, and I wouldn't be surprised if their prices are better than Corvette Rubber's....

-Pedro
Old 01-17-2002, 11:00 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did my weatherstrips on the doors of my 68 coupe and I ordered from the Last Detail in Atlanta. They fit perfect and look just like the originals I removed but were not as dense and a bit more hollow inside but you can't see it unless you cut them open. I think Corvette Rubber makes most of the rubber weatherstripping that the various vendors sell.
I am pleased with mine and they even have the correct metal formed ends that my originals did.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:03 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (Pedro'74)

68 Door weatherstrip for both doors from Last Detail $69.25 total and that included shipping, so approx. $32.00 per side before shipping costs.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:15 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Weather stripping???? (ksbunting)

Do you know how it compares to the stuff at Corvette Central or Zip? (that's where my Corvette guy told me to go) TLD is about $100 cheaper than these two. If you guys say it's about the same, I might just go this route. Is it just that it's thinner rubber? Over time, do you think this would this affect the performance?
Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:34 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Willcox has vary reasonable prices. Quailty is good too. Check them out. http://WWW.yankeelady.com/willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Weather stripping????

Quick Reply: Weather stripping????