C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside?

I know I've posted this before, but nothing ever seems to work. My tops sit obnoxiously high on the outer edges of the top(port and starboard, if you will), and I really can't seem to get the outside of the top to settle down at all. It looks *terrible*, to be quite honest, and I tried doing the top alignment thing that comes with the tops, but they just don't want to settle on the outside... any help? Thanks in advance...
-Steve
PS, These are bronze mirrored replacement tops... look identical to the ones that came off a long time ago... except those *fit*.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (Pacin'California)

I'm having the same problem on my 81. Thought i just needed to do a rebuild of my tops which i haven't done yet so I'm going to be watching this one.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (Pacin'California)

While I am not saying this is the answer, factory glass C3 tops sit high :eek: "proud" by design.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Generally, though, can a person with factory glass tops stick their finger in the front lip? :( I have fat fingers, too.
-Steve(tempted to drive 24-7-365 without tops. Oh wait... rain...)

[Modified by Pacin'California, 9:15 AM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Oh wait... rain...
I was caught in the rain once without my T-tops. They were in my garage at home. I was sitting there, completely soaked, and now cold wondering what people I was passing were thinking. Wasn't so funny then but now that it's been a while I can laugh about it. :lol: :lol:
Old 01-17-2002, 01:32 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (Golden80)

My glass tops do the same thing and my fiberglass ones fit perfectly, hoping someone will have insight on this.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

My glass tops are proud on the back outer corners by 1/4".Just seems I'll have to live with it,I can't see any means of ajustment.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:05 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

My OEM blue tint tops on my 1980 sit above the roof line by the back window. The also seem to hang over the edge a little. The front by the windshield is fine. There are shims that can be added and removed but I tried and still couldn't get it perfect. It might just be they way they are.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Nickindy
Instructor

The original paperwork I have for factory ttops says there should be " 1/16 miniumum" from the front roof panel...not sure if that helps or not.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:45 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you post a picture of the fit? I need a visual. How wide is the separation between the two tops running down the center? I bought some 79 glass ones and put them on my 75. I had to drill the hole for the back latch bolts, as the 75 did not have those at the time. I drilled them down further than I thought I should and this made them sit lower and a little further in. You might have some adjustment there, as well as the mounting tabs that go into the center post. My old fiberglass ones fit clean and these stuck up and out a little more, but not obnoxiously. I used to own an 80, that came with the glass tops, and their match with the car was not as smooth as the fiberglass ones either.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 01-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Nickindy
Instructor

Wow...they are sitting high...I won't complain about mine anymore. Did you loosen all the bayonets (pieces that go into the tbar) and the handle..put the front pin in...make sure the back pin is in and then close the handle....then tighten everything down leaving 3/8" out from rear, 1/8 to 1/4 high from rear roof panel...The more shims you put in the higher it goes so try no shims.....Is this t top a new purchase because I just got one that just doesn't want to fit properly too..I get it on -- do all the adjustments looks good...(a little too close to the back roof panel) pop it off and then can't seem to get it back on again....
Old 01-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (Nickindy)

These tops have been giving me grief for ~2 years now, but they were new back then. :rolleyes:
I guess I just haven't been patient enough with them... if all else fails, where would I go? A body shop or a corvette mechanic?
-Steve
Old 01-18-2002, 06:55 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Good pictures. In the front, mine are down to 1/4" gap and the back black plastic guard sticks up about 3/16". I could press down and get the front down to 3/16" and the back down to 1/8", but I fear it would stress the glass. Now, I don't have to loosen them to jack the car up, which a lot of people swear you do, but in 6 years I haven't had to. If you remove the shims from the top's center bar tabs and back out the latch bolt, you could probably pull yours down to where mine are now. I have a gap between the two tops of 1/2" and I think that if I were to re-adjust the tabs and allow both tops to move toward each other about 1/4", it would bring the whole top down further and inward, where the back overhang would stick out less. Mine are about in the same place as yours. Of course the back latch hole would need to be adjusted as well. I will try to mess with mine this weekend and see if this works and take a picture.

[Modified by GWHITE75, 4:57 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-18-2002, 07:18 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (GWHITE75)

tops should sit about 1/16 to 1/8 inch above the rear hoop. The fact that you can stick your finger under the glass tells me something is seriously wrong! I just replaced the seals on my glass tops (1980) and they fit fine. I recommend that you take the car to a body shop that has experience with T-tops and see if they can find out what is wrong.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (DaveL82)

Luckily, I know it's not the body... but will do, thanks.
I'll try your method out this weekend, GWhite. Hopefully, it'll work. Thanks guys!
-Steve
Old 01-19-2002, 12:21 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

I saw a '82 Collector's Edition today. The t-tops were 1/8" plus above the rear roof line including the sides. The fronts did not have the gap that show up in your picture.
Roger

Get notified of new replies

To Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside?

Old 01-21-2002, 11:37 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck?
Old 01-21-2002, 01:54 PM
VetteKitty
Advanced

The T-Tops on my 79 don't sit quite right either..

in the middle they are fine, no leaks at _all_ but on the sides, the seals on the door frame are shot, to they kinda stick up a little.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside? (Rhys)

No luck, probably gonna go to a body shop today after dealing with some home issues.
-Steve

Quick Reply: Glass T-Tops, how do you get them to sit down on the outside?