C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:03 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo!

Finished the install of the Hamilton 75000 BTU ,gas fired, ceiling mounted, power vented furnace for the garage last night. It fired right up! I had to hot wire it, no thermostat yet, and it took it 5 tries to clear the gas lines of air, but I have heat!!!

Now I can work in the garage even when it's cold out!
( for you southerners, they are saying it will get below 0 (Zero) F tonight, not below freezing, below zero, thats when it gets really cold )
Old 01-17-2002, 10:06 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (427V8)

way to go Keith Now you'll get things done:) Nice license plate :)
Old 01-17-2002, 10:07 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

take this from a Yankee enough, from Maryland,.....
MOVE!!!!....at least you can drive your vette in Florida not park it 9 months/year....no offense, but life is short, and I wish I"d done the move 40 year ago, instead of 4.....

GENE
Old 01-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I bet you need that heater in the Frozen Tundra!!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:55 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The last time you guys in the north did a heater topic, I did one for you guys. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=217610

:cheers:

When we get a "norther" & it gets close to freezing like below 50 :eek: that's cold for us. I wear sunglasses all year. :cool: I think about moving up there for the summer.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:24 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't believe you didn't do that years ago. I know you have worked on your car braving the cold and a lot colder than I would have attempted, although, the other night it did get cold in my garage and I had to turn on 2 drop lights to get it comfortable. :lol: Seriously, congratulations! BTW, are you running the Wilwoods on the front of your car?
Old 01-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations. It's nice, huh? My shop is heated. That way it's always around 60 degrees in there. You will be amazed at how much more you'll get done with a long winter and a heated garage to work in. I do 99 percent of my work on vehicles during the winter months, so a heated shop is a must. Of course, I spend a lot of time up there, so I want to be comfortable.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:07 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (Dalannex)

Now you get to spend even more time working on the car. Congrats :cheers:
Old 01-17-2002, 02:16 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Keith:
You lucky duck! My dad used to have a gas heater in our garage but he said it created too much moisture and was going to ruin the sealing so he got rid of it. Now I get to freeze my gonads off whenever I work up there in the winter....oh well as my dad say's "it builds character." :)

BTW...I think if I had a heated garage I would probably never leave it.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

You lucky guy you.. I'll be over to work on mine this weekend! :jester
Old 01-17-2002, 02:25 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (GWHITE75)

GWhite75
Well I've got Wilwoods on the car but is't been a winter project so they haven't seen the road yet, :( As soon as it gets warm ( like May :eek ) I'll be running them...

GANEY
I was in Texas last summer, my friends there kept telling me how hot it was and how I wouldn't be able to handle it and the humidity was soo bad a Minnesotan would melt the instant they opend the door...:rolleyes:
Well when we were there is was actually hotter and more humid in minnesota than in Houston! So be carefull about when you come up here ( spring and fall are nice :D )

I have spent many nights under cars in sub zero temps and only lately gotten soft enough to pay for a heater....:jester

As far as working in the cold the worst was when my brothers car sat in slush up to the starter. That night the temp dropped to well below freezing ( around zero) and froze the car in place. We chipped the ice away from the starter, pulled the starter, dried it in my moms oven, installed the starter and then we could move the car.

[Modified by 427V8, 12:32 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the heat and humidity in Minnesota. It is the same way in South Dakota. Spring and fall are nice, but summer is ungodly hot. I have driven through Texas on route to McAllen a number of times, and always thought the weather there was fabulous. It's hot, but without the 70-90 percent humidity we have her. , It's absolutely beautiful.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:56 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (Dalannex)

I visited Texas in November of '00.......it was 20 degrees at night and barely 40 during the day...cold as hell..... I heard locals say they never saw this before...I was like WTF, I come here to be in a warmer climate and my home town was in the 60's. I spent 10 days down there....left a bad taste in my mouth for weather.......
what are the odds of going on vacation and hitting a freak cold spell...well....very good in my case...

I know its usually nice there...but man..
we covered the area from Corpus Christy, Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas.
Neat citys,,,,holy cow are there stretches of "nothing"....I mean nothing....it would scare you to break down inbetween those cities.... :lol:
Old 01-17-2002, 04:01 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (ylose)

You have no idea how bad I want to install heat in my garage! Right now I use my "poor man's garage heater", I leave the door to the kitchen open when I'm in there :lol: :lol: It works great but our food tastes like oil...

[Modified by Flareside, 3:01 PM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 05:08 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (Flareside)

I went to the supply and feed store and bought a 30,000 BTU propane heater. It's a fairly compact box (about 12"x12"x12") that has a small squirrel cage fan and uses a barbeque propane tank. It does a pretty good job of cranking out the heat. It only has two settings, off and on.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

HEHE, I remember a trip from FW to I think Abeline..out west on I 20?? anyway, on the way to ElPaso, through oil ville....and seeing the oil drilling musuem, Permian basin they call it....and smelling nothing so close to what we NE types call 'natural gas' and old crank case drippings....call that the odor of the west Texas...Midland/Odessa.... loved that trip......friend Ken kept saying west Texas cops were hell, that we better not speed....

poopie, I was wishing we had the Vette....cruise at 120 all day long....

GENE
Old 01-17-2002, 08:45 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Way to go Keith--I love mine--got the slab heat so can lay or nap on the floor under the Vette no problem--weather dude says 20 below Zero tonight--up here in the stix, we call this a two dog night--you figure it out--Any of you Southern folks, I am still up for adoption from January through early April :blueangel: --well maybe half a halo

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave

Get notified of new replies

To I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo!

Old 01-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Congrats on your heaters. No heater for me- do remember the sweet smell of kerosene ...

I know its usually nice there...but man..
we covered the area from Corpus Christy, Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas.
Neat citys,,,,holy cow are there stretches of "nothing"....I mean nothing....it would scare you to break down inbetween those cities.... :lol:
Think about this. I always find it a bit funny when guys talk about high speed highways like in Gernany. Cruise has always been 100+ for me. :cool:
Old 01-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (mrvette)

HEHE, I remember a trip from FW to I think Abeline..
...friend Ken kept saying west Texas cops were hell, that we better not speed....
poopie, I was wishing we had the Vette....cruise at 120 all day long....

GENE
GENE

You were right, you need to keep the speed up since they nail the slow guys from behind ! LOL.
One time I was coming back from Calif. & passed an 18 wheeler & lo & behold there was a trooper :eek: w/ a red VETTE stopped. He was looking up :eek: at me. I think the Vette guy was smiling as I increased speed ! :cool:
WARNING to the new guys Not Rec. for amateurs !
Old 01-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo! (Ganey)

I'm surprised you waited this long. When I was young and dumb I use to brave it in the garage all winter long without heat. But no longer. Your right about Texas my family lives there and when they come here for summer fishing they complain about the humidity.

Scott

Quick Reply: I have a heated garage! WhoooHooo!