C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives to clean heads ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 05:21 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Additives to clean heads ?

Hi
Once again, I saw a TV advertisement for some additives added to the fuel tank and to the oil to clean the engine interior from deposits.
They claim that one bottle mixed into one full tank will clean all deposits off the valves, heads, cylinders and more. Is this possible ?
I know that my L71 head valves have some deposits , will this work ?
Is this stuff agressive, meaning, will it attack for example the carb or alu intake ?
This stuff was advertised in French TV under PUISSANCE 9000, one small bottle for the fuel and one small botle for the oil for together about 33 US$
(38 EURO )
What do you think ?
Gunther
:rolleyes:
Old 01-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Additives to clean heads ? (WESCH)

As a professinal engine builder, me thinks they would like to stick their French tongue between your cheeks.

I was cleaning some valves just today so I could face them to determine how much margin was left. I had to use a body hammer (similar to a welders slag hammer) to chip off the crud from the back of the intake valve just so I could wire wheel the rest off before chucking it in my valve facer.

If (BIG IF) there is any chemical that can loosen this stuff with the heads still on the engine, it will most definitely do damage to the cylinder bores and the exhaust valve seats/faces on the way out of the combustion chambers.

This stuff is insoluble in even the strongest carb & parts cleaners (I've tried them all), so I have my doubts that there is any chemical that will "dissolve" it, rather than let it fall off in clumps. It is sometimes 3/8" thick. On some old Fords (292's), I have even seen it up to 1/2" thick... so thick that the engine would not even run.

For a light, thin film of buildup... well maybe. But for the heavy stuff... I don't believe.

Thus... my name is Thomas.

Standard procedure for me is to verify the set of valves is re-useable, then knock off the heavy stuff. Next, I remove the oil so tape will stick and I tape the stems. Then I media/sand blast the valves, polish them, and reface them. I also blast the heads before I do guide work or valve seat work. The stuff is tough to get off.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Additives to clean heads ? (Tom454)

I also do not doubt Thomas :cool:
Old 01-17-2002, 04:10 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Additives to clean heads ? (Tom454)

Hey Tom454
I forgot to add that they of course also claim a 20 % fuel efficiency after this
treatment. :lol:
By the way, they showed 2 heads with apparently 156.000 KM on them each.
One looked like a cast iron, all black and corroded, even at the seal flange to the engine block, the other one looked like a alu head, inside and outside including the seal flange highly polished ! Guess which one they claimed was treated. :mad
Sometimes, I wonder !
Thanks Gunther
:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Additives to clean heads ?

Quick Reply: Additives to clean heads ?