C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember?

I know this isn't an "approved" jacking point. I'd place jackstands in their correct locations once the car is airborne.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:56 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Neo Fender)

I jack mine up there all the time if I want both wheels off the ground and I am not getting under it.

Bob
Old 01-16-2002, 03:58 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (76 Red)

Put the jack under the front lip of the crossmember. If you jack it in the center, you'll dent it, sometimes rather severely. If you look under many C2 and C3 Corvettes, you'll see LOTS of dented, smashed crossmembers from improper jacking. Chuck
Old 01-16-2002, 04:01 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Neo Fender)

The sheet metal on the bottom of the crossmember is rather thin, hence, not a recommended jack-point. Although, you'll not likely see a C3 that doesn't have a dented or caved-in crossmember which implies that nearly everyone -self included- jacks from there when stands need to go under both front frame rails. I do use a large wooden block to distribute the load so the thin sheetmetal isn't taking the full load. If I only need one side up, I'll generally jack the front and back side rails separately.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:03 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Chuck Gongloff)

Yep, my crossmember is all dented, not by me, was that way when I got the car, but yes I jack at this point all the time, just to get it high enough to place the jack stands, because I NEVER leave the car in the air to work on, with just the hydraulic jack. I place a 2" x 4" piece of wood on the jack plate, then put it up to the cross member, won't dent anymore, and seems like it's less prone to slipping using the 2x4.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:12 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I took a 1/8th inch thick piece of stainless, rolled it to match the front crossmember then welded it into place. I regularly jack the car in the center and wanted a strong dent free location. I also welded a big nut and made a screw in hook so I have a place to tow if need be. Took a little effort but it is there for life
Old 01-16-2002, 05:45 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (norvalwilhelm)

yah the problem is when u slide the stupid jack under there youll @#@# fark up the front spoiler!!!

that is if your front end it lowered 1 inch like mine!!

:mad :mad :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss
Old 01-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (daily_driver)

I put a piece of 12"x12" piece of lumber atop the jack saddle before jacking under the front crossmember. Then I put one jack stand under each sway bar mount.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:22 PM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (1970 Stingray)

Yea, i put a peice of lumber on the jack also so it won't dent the crossmember. :yesnod: :cheers: :cool: ..........
Old 01-16-2002, 10:19 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (SevenT1Shark)

Ditto on using scrap wood (2X6) to distribute the weight, but my crossmember was alrealdy dented from the previous owner.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:23 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Chuck Gongloff)

Put the jack under the front lip of the crossmember. If you jack it in the center, you'll dent it, sometimes rather severely. If you look under many C2 and C3 Corvettes, you'll see LOTS of dented, smashed crossmembers from improper jacking. Chuck
Any ideas on how to correct a bubbafied crossmember?
Old 01-16-2002, 10:42 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (SevenT1Shark)

Yea, i put a peice of lumber on the jack also so it won't dent the crossmember. :yesnod: :cheers: :cool: ..........
So, would you call that a "lumberjack "? :jester

sorry.... I have been diligently jacking mine up side by side at the approved jacking points.... I may just try the lumberjack method. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 9:42 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (63Banshee)

Any ideas on how to correct a bubbafied crossmember?
I can't remember if there are any openings or not, but I think a slide hammer may do the trick.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:26 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My car has a crushed frame in that area from previous persons jacking in that area... I tried it once and noticed the steering geomerty changing (as in mildly springing back a forth as I pumped the jack) so I wont do it again.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:19 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Carl in LA)

Is it just me or do all of your cars, when jacked up from the side, lift the rear wheel off the ground too? I give just enough room in front to put my jackstands there and always notice the rear wheel coming off the ground a little bit too when I'm raising the front.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Golden80)

Ok, so if you don't jack under the crossmember (I do), where do you jack from up front? I've tried it right behind the front wheel, but the entire car looks like it's going to fracture :eek: :eek:
Old 01-17-2002, 02:32 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Golden80)

Is it just me or do all of your cars, when jacked up from the side, lift the rear wheel off the ground too? I give just enough room in front to put my jackstands there and always notice the rear wheel coming off the ground a little bit too when I'm raising the front.
Yep, my 78 and 82 both do that. I've wondered about jacking it
up using the crossmember. I'm glad to see this post.

Get notified of new replies

To Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember?

Old 01-17-2002, 02:34 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (Flareside)

Golden80, (and Joe), If I want to put the car up on 4 stands I usually take advantage of what Golden80 was talking about. I place the jack just a little behind the front edge of the door, on the side. This is within the approved jacking area, but a little towards the back. Sure enough, both the front and the rear wheel come up off the ground as I jack up the side. I place 2 stands under the car, front and back, and go do the other side. If I do them one at a time I really feel like I am twisting the car like a pretzel. MJ
Old 01-17-2002, 06:53 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (norvalwilhelm)

I took a 1/8th inch thick piece of stainless, rolled it to match the front crossmember then welded it into place. I regularly jack the car in the center and wanted a strong dent free location. I also welded a big nut and made a screw in hook so I have a place to tow if need be. Took a little effort but it is there for life
The "screw in tow hook" is a fantastic idea!
Norval, will you email a picture of this to me?
Old 01-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember? (MIKER)

Good thread. Very informative. This will save me some time when I install my headers.....both sides at one.........a great idea and no twisting of the frame.

Quick Reply: Any problems with jacking a C3 under the front crossmember?