C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH 400 total fluid capacity?

Old 01-16-2002, 03:49 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TH 400 total fluid capacity?

Going over to synthetic.
The manual says 7.5 pints but that's for a routine fluid change I assume.
How many qts in a complete change torque conveter capacity too?
Can't seem to find a number other than 7.5 pints.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:18 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: TH 400 total fluid capacity? (69er)

It's been a long time since I filled one up from dry, but go with 3 gallons to start with....pour in about 1/2 of it, then start engine, then add as required....it's amazing how much those things hold, but nearly 2 gallons in the converter alone....well just look at one...the converter...figger it's allmost all hollow space in there....

Old 01-17-2002, 01:21 AM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: TH 400 total fluid capacity? (mrvette)

My 700R4 took 11 qts.
I think same amount for th400

Hope this helps

Roger
Old 01-17-2002, 06:35 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: TH 400 total fluid capacity? (rhoeven)

Thamks guys.
I have a couple of qts and I'll pick up a 2.5 gallon container of Amsoil synthetic fluid.
Hopefully that should be enough to purge through.

74Stingray(Frank) will give me a hand when I'm ready.
Going with Amsoil's procedure:

Step 1. Obtain the total system capacity of the vehicle from the manufacturer or AMSOIL. Have this amount readily available.

Step 2. Disconnect the oil cooler line from the oil cooler. As you may not know which is the pressure side and which is the return side, have both directed so the stream of fluid will be directed toward a receptacle.

Step 3. With another person, be prepared to add ATF to the fill area as it is being pumped out of the oil cooler line.

Step 4. Start the engine, and as the old fluid is pumped out, add fresh fluid to the pan.

Step 5. When either the fluid color brightens or the total capacity has been replaced, shut the engine off and re-attach the oil cooler line. All fluids has now been changed.

Old 01-17-2002, 07:22 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about doing the same with my 350. Before I had seen these instructions I was thinking of disconnecting both cooling lines, starting the car to find out which line was the pressured side, and then hooking up a feed to the return line so that I could add new fluid through that. I think it'd be a lot easier filling the fluid through the dip stick into the pan than my idea :yesnod: .

Anyway, I'll anxiously await your post on the results. Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should work. Even if the pan get to low for a momment and sucks air it still wont hurt anything since the tranny is still wet. Ive even done this alone before buy firing the engine and pumping out fluid till the line starts blasting air. Then shut it off quickly and prepare to re-fill. With either method you still may not get a total 100% change out. Have 12 qts standing by, but I doubt you'll need em all.

Get notified of new replies

To TH 400 total fluid capacity?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TH 400 total fluid capacity?