C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What coolant should I use in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 01:10 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What coolant should I use in Florida

I need suggestions on coolant for the BB with a griffin radiator and is there anything that prevents rust in the areas that aren't alum.. :cheers:
Old 01-16-2002, 02:30 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: What coolant should I use in Florida (71DropTop)

I recently changed to Redline Waterwetter with distilled water. I used to use coolant/anti-freeze for its anti-rust & lubrication properties only since there's NO chance of freezing down here. Since water has twice the heat transfer of 50/50 water & coolant, the Waterwetter further enhances heat transfer & wetting ability plus provides the rust inhibition & lubrication properties needed....and my car runs about 20 degrees COOLER!

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 1:31 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 02:35 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: What coolant should I use in Florida (mdsmith)

Is distilled water something that redline recommends
Old 01-16-2002, 02:49 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Distilled or de-ionized water doesn't leave scale unlike tap water. Although WaterWetter has an anti-scale agent, Redline says this type of water is best to prevent scale. Its similar to the common practice of using distilled water when topping off batteries in the old days when there was no such thing as maintenance free batteries.

Mark
Old 01-16-2002, 03:13 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straight distilled water, no. In fact, they specifically recommend running a minimum of 15% antifreeze with distilled water and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter for street driven cars. The 15% antifreeze is for lubrication purposes. I have seen others on this board claim that Water Wetter has a lubricant in it for your water pump. If you read the bottle, they make no such claim and instruct you to use some antifreeze.

That said, I run 85% distilled water, 15% antifreeze, one bottle of Water Wetter and a 160* thermostat. In the middle of summer, my car hits 160*. If I get stuck in traffic for an hour, it may get up to 200*. Right now, with the cool mornings (40*-50*), my car runs WAY too cool around 130* (according to the temp gauge, and the engine feels sluggish enough that that's probably not far off). I am changing over to a 180* thermostat in hopes that it may help warm the car up a little. My suggestion is: go the 85/15 mix with the Water Wetter, a 180* T-stat, and make sure all your radiator seals are intact and in place (this REALLY helps keep the temprature down), as well as make sure your fan clutch is operating properly.

My $.02 from Tampa :cool:
Old 01-16-2002, 03:18 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: What coolant should I use in Florida (79MakoL82)

speaking of rad seals are they necessary with a dual spal fan since i'm removing the rad to put them on should i still seal it :smash:
Old 01-16-2002, 03:30 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

H-m-m-m-m-m-m. This I do not know. Maybe not. With the stock set-up, you are relying partially on the air coming in to be forced through the radiator and on the suction from the fan (which is a good distance away from the radiator). The seals keep the forced air from diverting itself around the radiator. I would think with dual Spals right up against the Radiator, you might not need them. Maybe someone with Spals can chime in.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Warp70
Racer

Man you guys are fancy. I unravel my hose from the side of the house and filler-up. My car run at about 180 degrees normally, and in traffic might reach 210. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 01-16-2002, 04:09 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What coolant should I use in Florida (Warp70)

Warp70, just be careful. With the hard water and all the minerals in the water here in FL, that crap can start to crud up you radiator. You can run it, and it will keep it cool for now, but eventually it will clog up your radiator and you will end up replacing. I would suggest you flush your system and replace with distilled water when you can and keep a few spare gallons around in the garage to top off. The distilled water's only $0.99 a gallon. Cheap insurance. The Water Wetter isn't really necessary but I think does help it to run cooler. I'd hate to see that beautiful car sitting on the side of the road with steam billowing out. I'd stop to help you out but ...I might have to say, "Told ya so". :D :jester :lol: :smash:
Old 01-16-2002, 04:32 PM
71DropTop
Racer

alright alright waterwetter, 15% anti and $5.00 worth of distilled water
after what i spent on the rad ,support and dual spals i guess thats not much$$$$ BTW i know my post was directed at fla temps but it was nice to see all my florida vetters chiming in Thanks :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-16-2002, 04:51 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Straight distilled water, no. In fact, they specifically recommend running a minimum of 15% antifreeze with distilled water and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter for street driven cars. The 15% antifreeze is for lubrication purposes. I have seen others on this board claim that Water Wetter has a lubricant in it for your water pump. If you read the bottle, they make no such claim and instruct you to use some antifreeze.
This is from there web site:

BENEFIT SUMMARY

Doubles the wetting ability of water
Improves heat transfer
Reduces cylinder head temperatures
May allow more spark advance for increased torque
Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
Provides long term corrosion protection
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Prevents foaming
Reduces cavitation corrosion
Complexes with hard water to reduce scale

My bottle doesn't say anything against 100% distilled water or 15% anti-freeze...where did you get this info?
Old 01-16-2002, 06:59 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What coolant should I use in Florida (mdsmith)

On the bottle, under directions. Their directions on the bottle call for less than 50%, but "at least 15% antifreeze should be used in street vehicles". I will say that it DOES say "Cleans and lubricates water pump seals" on the label, however, the parts dealer I spoke to said that "although it does have some lubricating properties, it is not sufficient to do the job with straight water. It needs the additional lubrication that would be added with the 15% anti-freeze".

Now, you may discount what the parts dealer told me, however, the label DOES say to use at least 15% antifreeze in street driven vehicles.

I followed their directions and have NO overheating problems. In fact, I have an UNDERheating problem.

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 5:12 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 12:20 AM
Warp70
Racer

Is there any trick to flushing a raidiator???? Any chemicals that need to be poured in first???????....or do you just pop the drain plug on the bottom and stick in a garden hose?????

Get notified of new replies

To What coolant should I use in Florida

Quick Reply: What coolant should I use in Florida