C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a "72" L48 use a ballast or resistor wire to the coil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 09:56 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Does a "72" L48 use a ballast or resistor wire to the coil?

I am not sure if I have either. When I check the voltage of the + wire after removing it from the coil, I get 12 volts.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:08 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: Does a "72" L48 use a ballast or resistor wire to the coil? (KJL)

The factory wire is a resistor wire. I just replied to your other post about hooking up a MSD to this wire. The MSD instructions that come with it state that you can do this.

regards

Bruce
Old 01-16-2002, 11:10 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

assuming your car is correct factory that is what you will measure without any loading, now with car running, you should measure about 8-9 volts or so, depending on dwell setting and idle speed, and alternator output....
yes that black lone wire that has a certain springy-ness to it, is actually steel wire in the harness and it's giving correct resistance as part of it's function....another wire goes down to the starter, and will supply a full battery voltage during starting for a temporarily hotter spark....but if that is allowed to remain on the coil + for very long, it will burn up the points/coil...

GENE
Old 01-16-2002, 11:12 AM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get 12V (or more depending on battery voltage) at the wire when it is disconnected because you need to have current flowing through the resistor to get a voltage drop. Measure the voltage with the wire attached to the coil and the points closed and it should drop a bit. I don't know what to expect, but I would guess it will probably be under 10V.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:14 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if I have either. When I check the voltage of the + wire after removing it from the coil, I get 12 volts.
I have a 72 LT1 and the electrical diagram in the GM Chassis Manual doesn't give any differentiation between the LT1 or L48. You can tell if you have a ballast resistor (which you shouldn't have) because it is usually mounted on the firewall and is a white ceramic device about 2 1/2 X 1" doohickey. If you a resistor wire it will be a wire with a white woven sheath on it. I am assuming that this sheath is a heat shield of some sort. On some cars I have seen where this white covering is gone; either worn off, cut off or just plain gone. My resistor wire has very fine print on it and says something to the effect of "resistor" or "resistance wire" or something along those lines. In addition, the one post of the coil has a single connector with two wires going to it. One is the resistor wire, which should give around eight volts during idle, and the other is the starting wire which should give full system voltage, while cranking. I can't send you any photos since my car is in storage.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Does a "72" L48 use a ballast or resistor wire to the coil?

Quick Reply: Does a "72" L48 use a ballast or resistor wire to the coil?