C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Shift Kit...

Old 01-15-2002, 05:28 PM
Tom78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Shift Kit...

Hey all,

I just wanted some quick advice on Shift Kits. I want to put a shift kit on my stock 78 transmission, but I am worried about getting into more than I want to overtake. I was reading that any transmission work may have to be done with the tranny upside down so parts won't fall out. Is this ture?? Is there any risk of installing this myself without dropping parts from the tranny and not being able to put it all back together? What are your recommendations on kits and the labor involved?

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-15-2002, 05:54 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 78 Shift Kit... (Tom78)

You may want to check out this current post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=218956 and do a search "shift kit" since there have been some pretty recent threads about shift kits.

I was very nervous about opening up my transmission. Some parts WILL most likely fall out (I know they did with mine) so it helps to have a good reference for how everything goes back together.

I think you will find that many here have been pleased with the results. Keep in mind too, you may get a nice transmission "feel" from changing to an adjustable vacuum modulator too. It lets you set your shift points and is relatively easy to install.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:38 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

I just installed the B&M Shift Improver less than a week ago. It wasn't half as bad as I thought, but I would make sure you had someone else with you to help. My friend helped me and neither one of us had installed one before. For $30 I think it was a great mod. I like the way it shifts now.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:53 PM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: 78 Shift Kit... (VTHokie77Vette)

I also have a shift kit on my 78 and really like it. :cheers:
Old 01-15-2002, 09:32 PM
vettecor
Racer

One of the best investments I ever made on my '77 was a B&M Improver Shift Kit. Feels like a different car. Nice crisp shifts. Would suggest getting an Adjustable Vacuum Modulator to go with it.

Just my $.02

Larry
Old 01-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Tom78
Advanced

Hey all,

Would it be the kind of project that the home Do-It-Yourselfer be able to take on? Or should this be done by a professional?

My father and I would do the project if it isn't too involved and he knows a lot about cars, but he was worried about parts dropping from the tranny making reassembly very difficult. Reply with your comments please, I need all the help I can get.

Tom
Old 01-16-2002, 10:17 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to performance mods and corvettes :-) What advantages does a shift kit give me over a stock 350 auto. (I have a 78 as well.)

Thanks in advanced.

[Modified by PyjamaSam, 9:18 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 11:15 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Tom, the only part I had any real trouble with as far as parts falling down/apart was the intermediate servo ( http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/BNM4.jpg, figure 5A ) and an internal filter. I had another reference handy (a book on 350's from the local library) that had a some very good diagrams. From that I was able to tell the correct orientation of the servo and placement/orientation of the filter. Other than that, it wasn't a bad job. The check ***** can be held in place with a small dab of grease. I was very nervous about doing anything to my trans because I've never had any real success with autos before, but I did it anyway, and it took me a really long time (because I was so nervous and read the directions over and over and over AND because I cleaned every part as well as I possibly could -- I'm not sure every shop would do that), but in the scheme of things, it wasn't that bad. I say this of course, because the trans hasn't blown up yet (wood :smash: ). Hopefully, it'll continue to do well for a while longer.

PyjamaSam, my understanding of the main purpose of a shift kit is to reroute trans fluid flow so that the slippage, deliberately put into the design in order to make the shift more "comfortable" to the passengers, is removed. That is, the trans will shift much quicker than from the factory. A very positive result of this is that reduced slippage means reduced heat, which means increased transmission life (that is, this is a good thing for your transmission). An added benefit is that the trans will now shift like most of us probably want it to, quickly :yesnod:

Hope this helps.

[Modified by jerryp58, 10:18 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 01:12 PM
TRUE-DUALS
Instructor

Default Re: 78 Shift Kit... (vettecor)

Vettecor.......who has the best price on these kits and. Adjustable Vacuum Modulator I have a 80 ZZ4 with a stock 350 auto that could use a little kick in the seat but will this hold up using the kit. Thanks

[Modified by TRUE-DUALS, 1:28 PM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 01:27 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Be careful around the valve body.Had a trans guy [the best] do all my autos when I still had my shop. One that we rebuilt [with shift kit] would not shift when warm. Had to drop the pan, valve body and go through the pistons[one was hanging up, a hair or burr or ? can cause a lotta extra work so be clean

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Shift Kit...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 78 Shift Kit...