C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed

Old 01-15-2002, 04:48 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed

All,

Chevy High Performance ran an article in their March 2002 issue on the Bow-Tie Overdrives TC cable, adapter plate and hardware that can be attached to the throttle linkage of the 4-barrel carb on those cars getting the 700R4. Only problem is that they 'side-stepped' the myriad Quadrajet installations that also would benefit. I noted they demo'd the Edelbrock Quadrajet config (lousy picture) and description. On my 1980 vette, I currently have the TC cable attached directly to the throttle linkage ball adapter that the former TH350 kick-down cable attached to (no change). Should I add the plate and if so, are there any pic's out there in the 'domain' that I might follow when performing this setup? My vette still shifts harder/later than I'd like and under hard acceleration almost kills the engine in the 1-2 shift.

All suggestions welcome.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:07 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed (TedH)

Ted,

I thought you bailed from Florida, did you decide to stay? You going to Larry's BBQ? I'm scheduled to work that weekend but there's a very small chance I can make it...without the Vette though.

I'm making a purchase from them tomorrow, the cable setup is one part on the list. Unfortunately I'm doing an engine swap now and it probably won't be installed for another 2-3 months due to lack of time, plus I'm going to clean up the engine bay first. I will keep you posted and send some pics once it's installed if you can wait that long. I was hoping someone already had pics too.

Scott
Old 01-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Ozglide79
Cruising

I did the change a couple of years ago so I'm trying to cut through the fog of time here and my car is at home in the garage due to snow conditions and I am at work so I can't go look right at the moment. I do remember an adapter plate that bolted to the bottom of the carb. throttle linkage. The TV cable was rigged to this bracket and adjusted so the plunger it attached to on the trans went to the correct position at full throttle. The way to check that the lock-up is engaging and disengaging correctly was to tap the brake at cursing speed in overdrive and watch the tach. jump when the lock up disengaged. My trans. shifts a little hard from second to third but after discussions with the owner of bow-tie I learned it was due to the agressive solinoid installed. A different solinoid can give you different shift characteristics. I elected to keep the solinoid I had because it shifted extremely quick when called upon under hard acceleration and the thump under normal conditions was tollerable. If you are having problems with the lock-up or shift characteristics, I would call bow-tie and talk to the owner because he will bend over backward to see that you are happy with the change and is very well versed with the operating characteristics of his transmissions. Also, check out their website because it has good pictures and illustrations on the installation. :flag
Old 01-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Ozglide79
Cruising

After all that what I should have included was that If installed incorrectly you can void the warrenty and really screw-up the trans. so I would deffenitly contact bow-tie and tell them about the 1-2 shift before you drove it anymore. I could be nothing but an easy fix or it could be trouble. I spent alot of time on the phone with him before we were both happy that everything was just right and it made all the difference. ;)
Old 01-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Apeiron
Advanced

Default Re: Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed (Ozglide79)

Is that the one that lets you change the radius and position of the TV arm on the throttle lever to adjust the shift points and firmness? If so I wouldn't touch it. TV geometry is critical to the operation and longetivity of the 700R4, it's not something to be played with at whim.

Get notified of new replies

To Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanted - Pictures of Bow-Tie Carb Linkage Adapter Installed