C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planning spring project: engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 03:48 PM
stickben
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning spring project: engine removal

I was just wondering if someone would take me throught the basic steps of engine removal. I am wanting to really detail the engine bay along with repainting the engine and installing a new cam. Ill probably also deal with a rotting radiator support, plus some headlight problems. I always see people talking about removing and installning their engines in a weekend, so im guessing its not a monumental task. I klnow im going to need things like a hoist, but im oblivious as to how the engine links up to the transmission. :D

Thanks! :smash:
Old 01-15-2002, 03:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: planning spring project: engine removal (stickben)

The job is not easy and if you can find the guy who re and re's in a weekend give me his number for my next transplant.. :D

All kidding aside get a Corvette repair manual before you start, as for the engine to transmission separation there are a number of bolts that circle the bell housing that you have to remove.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:06 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: planning spring project: engine removal (MotorHead)

4 bolts that attach the transmission to the bellhousing. Personally with a manual transmission, I'd pull everything. Since you are there and the clutch is right there, its best to go ahead and replace it then.

But as Motorhead said, Get a repair manual.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:15 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: planning spring project: engine removal (MotorHead)

The job is not easy and if you can find the guy who re and re's in a weekend give me his number for my next transplant.. :D
Well, it's not that hard. And it can be R&R-ed in a weekend--I did it recently working with no helpers. And you don't strictly have to remove the hood. Here's a list of stuff to do. This is off the top of my head so I might miss a little step. I don't have A/C and this is for an automatic transmission:

Drain oil and coolant.

Disconnect radiator hoses.

Disconnect heater hoses.

Remove fan, fan clutch and belts.

Remove distributor.

Unplug and remove alternator.

Disconnect exhaust manifolds.

Remove starter and disconnect ground strap to engine.

Unbolt power steering pump from block.

(Optional): Remove carb, intake manifold and heads. If you want to leave he intake and heads on the engine you will still have to remove the distributor.

Attach hoist to block using spare head bolts. Or attach the hoist to the lifting tabs on the block. Or attach lifting plate to carburetor flange on the intake manifold. Or attach chains to accessoriy holes in cylinder heads. Or whatever your setup calls for.)

Take up the slack in the chain with the hoist just a little.

Remove the engine mount through-bolts.

Place a floor jack under the transmission using a piece of plywood to avoid damaging the pan.

Remove the torque converter dust cover.

Unbolt torque converter from flexplate. You will have to rotate the engine to do this. Might be a good idea to remove the spark plugs to facilitate this if you've left your heads on.

Take up a little more slack in the chain.

Remove the 6 bellhousing-to-engine bolts.

Lift engine from car slowly, chck to make sure everything is disconnected and that it's coming out OK.

Remove the flexplate when it's clear of the car and hanging on the hoist.

Mount it on an engine stand.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Have fun.

[Modified by The Dude, 2:55 PM 1/15/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To planning spring project: engine removal

Quick Reply: planning spring project: engine removal