C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Matter
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :)

Getting ready to put some off-sets and a new gear (3:70) in next month (.......finally) and was checking out the situation from down under... and I don't mean in the Outback, either. :)

I'm curious. I'm running some 255R60-15's now and have about 1/2"-5/8" clearance between sidewall and e-brake cable. How much clearance will the offsets give me? I will put some wider tires on in future, but how much clearance do I need to leave for tire flex?

Thanks for the input. :cool:
Old 01-15-2002, 01:56 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :) (1980LT1)

with moving the ebrake mounting, I have run 275 tires on rear and front...now that was on '92 rims with 2.5 inch adaptors....and about 1/4 to 3/8 inch clearance to stock arms...you should be able to get better with offset arms....maybe even get 315 series tires like off a ZR1.....

now having said all that....I feel the 40 series stock '92 vette tire is too small in diameter, and looks ricer in our wheel wells....so I went to a 255/50/17 Impals SS tire, then put them on the front and went to a Nitto 275/50/17 for the rear, which barely clears....now keep in mind I have mild flares on fenders.....also remember to keep the offsets of the wheel center inline with stock...to keep rear hub/bearing loading within tolerances...don't do large offsets just to make it fit....also that will affect camber, of course, not to mention tire wear...

GENE
Old 01-15-2002, 05:02 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :) (1980LT1)

Offset Trailing arms will generally allow you to run 10" wheels on the back of the car. I assume a neutral setback is used so an additional inch would be had.

I just got my trailing arm assemblies from Bairs - they look great - just need to put them on the car - but I need side yokes now.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :)

Quick Reply: Quick question about T-arms; let's beat snot out of dead horse :)