C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 02:08 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny?

I was just wondering if that kits all you need to do or if there's other things. My tranny's running fine for being 22 years old but it's just sluggish. How much does it usually run for a shop to put in a shift kit?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-15-2002, 02:25 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny? (Golden80)

A shift kit is not a rebuild, you just pull the valve body and change a few springs and perhaps change/remove a check valve ball. You do not go into the guts of the trans at all. A shift kit install should not cost you more than $100 labor I would think. I did mine in my garage last summer in about 2 hours. If your tranny has never been rebuilt it might be time but is will be considerably more than a shift kit. You may want to consider a beefed up 700-R4 conversion if you are going to start sinking money into the trans. It is about $1500 from various vendors and I have heard great things about the performance and highway drivability.

Old 01-15-2002, 03:02 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny? (PatG)

a 350 rebuild from a shop should only cost ~800 or soo!!

its a great tranny that keeps goin and goin and goin!!

u can also get some beefed up ones from summit racing for similiar price...and they are pretty easy to install...

shift kit just reroutes some of circuit to make shifts "harder" and quicker!!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:31 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny? (Golden80)

Here are the instructions for the B&M Shift Improvement Kit http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/bnmkit.htm . It took me a little more time to install than PatG, but it was the first time I ever touched a trans.

There have been a few recent threads about shift kits and I think the response has been pretty positive. Don't forget to add an adjustable modulator (lets you adjust shift points) while you or the shop is at it.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:36 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Golden, take my advice, after some 35 years of working on cars....do NOT put in a shift kit, period....IF you do expect that tranny to fail on the very next chilly winter day, within a year anyway....
it's same as changing fluid, washes out all the gunk from internal O ring seals, exposing cracked brittle rubber to fresh fluids will just insure an internal leaking, which burns up clutches from slippage.....
believe me I know....been there done that....
save your money for a nice O/drive auto 700 or 200 and have done with it...do it right ONCE and forgetaboutit....

GENE
Old 01-15-2002, 09:46 PM
vettecor
Racer

Just had my TH-350 rebuilt 2 weeks ago. Parts and labor with a B&M shift kit and a new B&M Torque Converter was $735.00 for everything.

Runs great !!!!!!!!!!!

Larry (77 RED)

Get notified of new replies

To Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny?

Quick Reply: Is installing a shift kit essentially rebuilding the tranny?