C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about my "sluggish" 79

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:21 AM
bryant080
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about my "sluggish" 79

I have a 79 l82 with straight pipes to 2 borla mufflers..with an edelbrock intake manifold. When i first put it in gear there is a moment it is not engaged..then it clicks hard into gear. It does this worst of all in rev. When i am cruising and give it some gas there is nothing there either..i can hear and feel the engine go faster but the car doesnt move too quick. It seems as if 1st gear is the only gear with power, but when first applying sudden throttle the rear end "knocks" and when letting off it does the same thing. I think these problems might be related. I also have a 3spd auto. Is this factory? thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:42 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: questions about my "sluggish" 79 (bryant080)

My '79 takes a second to engage in reverse also. As for the car not moving fast when you punch it it may be a worn trans or it could be that a prior owner installed a higher stall converter. Try gettig your revs up before punching it and see if that makes a difference. I have also put a B&M shift kit in my rebuilt tranny and it made for much crisper shifts. My engine is not stock though.

As for the rear end you should not be hearing any knocks. It could be u-joints, bearings or the gears themselves are worn. Do you know of any prior work on the rear end?
Old 01-15-2002, 03:00 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: questions about my "sluggish" 79 (PatG)

sounds to me like worn u joitns and/or mounts..

check your :::::::::::

engine mounts
tranny mount
diff mount
driveshaft joitns
halfshaft joints.
differential carrier locators...

that should do yah!

Old 01-15-2002, 11:12 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i first put it in gear there is a moment it is not engaged..then it clicks hard into gear. It does this worst of all in rev. When i am cruising and give it some gas there is nothing there either..i can hear and feel the engine go faster but the car doesnt move too quick. ...........I think these problems might be related. I also have a 3spd auto. Is this factory? thanks for the advice in advance.
Check the fluid level in the transmission immediately, I have seen occasions where low fluid level will cause the transmission to wait before engaging into gear. your second problem, if i understand correctly is you give it gas and the engine rpms go up but the car does not really accellerate well. This sounds like a slipping transmission which could also be caused by low fluid level.

Clunking sounds in or around the rear end are probably u-joints as has been said, u-joints however will not cause the delayed trans engagement.

Check your fluid immediately.......

If the fluid is fine then consider a fluid change with a new filter to see if there is any change. beyond that you would probably have to have someone get inside the tranny.

Your car should have the th350 trans which is a 3 speed automatic.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My '78 used to do that, but when I put more fluid in, the fluid was all smoked off. Very, very bad, and quite a lot of smoke. (The car left a cloud of smoke that made conditions nearly non-visible). So, I took it to the shop and it turned out to be a bad vacuum modulator valve on the transmission. I never really had problems with forward gears, though, just reverse.
-Steve
Old 01-15-2002, 01:54 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Default Re: questions about my "sluggish" 79 (fauxrs)

Check the fluid level in the transmission immediately, I have seen occasions where low fluid level will cause the transmission to wait before engaging into gear. your second problem, if i understand correctly is you give it gas and the engine rpms go up but the car does not really accellerate well. This sounds like a slipping transmission which could also be caused by low fluid level.

Check your fluid immediately.......
I'm with fauxrs on this. Check your fluid... This has happened too me as well ('79 w/TH350)... It may also be a good idea to check the AT cooling flex hoses at the rad... They blew on me on the highway (at 2:00AM of course!)and caused all the same probs as described.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:55 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: questions about my "sluggish" 79 (Pacin'California)

My '78 used to do that, but when I put more fluid in, the fluid was all smoked off. Very, very bad, and quite a lot of smoke. (The car left a cloud of smoke that made conditions nearly non-visible). So, I took it to the shop and it turned out to be a bad vacuum modulator valve on the transmission. I never really had problems with forward gears, though, just reverse.
-Steve
I had this on my other car...get this....when my mechanic looked at the Tranny, he found a bolt had gone through the vacuum modulator and slit it...
no...not a normal bolt....i mean a bolt coming from the outside and into it like spear.... :rolleyes: I could only guess how that got shot up in there....

but I was going through tranny fluid like a fish through water !!!! blowing it out the exhaust as is common with a modulator gone bad...
:D
Old 01-15-2002, 05:39 PM
bryant080
Advanced

The fluid is fine. However, it does have a small leak somewhere. And even when the RPM's are high and i give it gas it still doesnt go any better. It seems as like it will pull then put put then go hard then put put and so on. Thanks for all the advise i'll check out that stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To questions about my "sluggish" 79

Quick Reply: questions about my "sluggish" 79