C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misc. Questions Troubling Me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:09 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Misc. Questions Troubling Me...

While ripping and tearing at the 'Vette I discovered a few things that I was curious about.

* There is a canister located on the inside of the driver's side fender (looks like a vacuum reserve canister). Is this a charcoal filter (used to help assist in decreased emissions)? If so, couldn't I take it out and re-route the vacuum lines (I believe one line goes to the brakes and the other goes to the intake as a source of manifold vacuum)?

* After playing around last night I have come to the conclusion that in order to remove the fan shroud ; you must also remove the radiator....am I correct?

* Whenever I pull the transmission, should I replace the front seal? I read somewhere that if it's a TH350 or a TH400 that you should change the seal otherwise leaks will occur down the road. The article also mentioned that if you have a standard transmission and your seal isn't leaking that it is wise to leave it alone. What do you think?

* Where can I get some solid u-joints and how much do they cost?

* I am seriously considering halfshaft loops, where can I purchase them and approximately how much do they cost?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated. :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 06:40 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Misc. Questions Troubling Me... (bence13_33)

Well - I can anwer a couple questions:

* There is a canister located on the inside of the driver's side fender (looks like a vacuum reserve canister). Is this a charcoal filter (used to help assist in decreased emissions)? If so, couldn't I take it out and re-route the vacuum lines (I believe one line goes to the brakes and the other goes to the intake as a source of manifold vacuum)?

I believe that may be the vacuum storage for your headlights. At least that sounds like where mine is at.

* After playing around last night I have come to the conclusion that in order to remove the fan shroud ; you must also remove the radiator....am I correct?

Yep - or possibly take the upper bolts out and tilt the rad forward.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Misc. Questions Troubling Me... (lbell101)

Humm....I dunno about that canister thing. If I'm not mistaking, the vaccum recipient is the front bumper...just look at the hoses connecting it to the headlights. ;)
Old 01-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Misc. Questions Troubling Me... (Lohkay)

My charcol canister was behind the fender down low. The vacuum tank is up higher at least on a 72.
My ujoints are Spicer solids 5-618X at 14.75 ea for the driveshaft
5-627X at 17.40 ea for the halfshafts
those are the part numbers
Old 01-14-2002, 09:20 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct Bence, The cannister is the Charcoal filter and part of the emissions system. I have left mine alone. I know others have removed them.

On my 78, although it take some working it, I can remove the fan shroud without removing the radiator. You could also remove the two top bolts (left and right side) of the rad support and pull the rad forward at the top to help you out. Remove the fan though first though.

I got my solid U-Joints frmo a local Corvette supply company. They do mail order if you need the number but you should be able to get them anywhere.

Can't help you on teh half-shaft loops.

Can't wait to see how you may out with the BB. Hope you're taking pictures! :yesnod:
Old 01-14-2002, 11:52 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get solid u-joints at NAPA , autozone, Pep boys or just about anywhere. The higher quality units are spicer. I use and have had excellent results form the Brute Force series of joints.

The charcoal cannister is indeed part of the emissions system, Evaporative to be exact, it costs you no power whatsoever.

when it comes to seals replacing seals when you have access is usually a good idea. Last thing you want to do is get it all back together and then find one week later all your seals are leaking.

Halfshaft loops - no idea - although Toms differentials http://tomsdifferentials.com/ includes them in his 6 link suspension so I only assume they can be had seperatly, even they dont appear anywhere else in his catalog that I can see.

Get notified of new replies

To Misc. Questions Troubling Me...

Quick Reply: Misc. Questions Troubling Me...