C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD -- who's done it, and what MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 05:36 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD -- who's done it, and what MPG?

I'm planning to build a new engine within the next year. I plan on having fuel injection and an O/D tranny (probably the Richmond 6 spd). Gas mileage is a concern for me as I spend a lot of time on the highways on road trips. I want power too, though. The new 'vettes are pushing 30 mpg and 400 horsepower. I'm sure I can have more horsies with not too much of a hit on the fuel economy. I don't want to go turbo (well, I WANT to, but just not enough room in the engine bay w/o paying a custom shop). Originally I was thinking about a strung out high-revving small cube SBC (something odd and insane like a 4.125" bore and a 3" stroke ;), as I'm a big fan of odd engines. But lately I've been tossing around the idea of a 427 big block. But I'm wondering if I can still get decent fuel economy (24 mpg on the highway is my minimum mark) with those kind of cubes, if I go fuel injected and overdrive. I'm not a drag racer by any means, and mid to high range horses are more important to me than gobs of low-end stump-pulling torque, but I'm not willing to lose streetlight shootouts to anything stock, and that includes a Z06. :)

Any thoughts, or personal experience?

Jim

Old 01-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks.....

Jim,

Check out this thread, sounds like GWHITE75 has done the 427 and Six-Speed, I'm not sure if he is fuel injected or not.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=218566
Old 01-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD --

Jim,

I think you can get over 20mpg on the highway with a BB if you have ~2.50 overall gearing if the engine is mild. FI will help. But to beat a Z06 too is a pretty tall order. My L88 will beat my Z06, but it is not mild. The mileage is somewhat less than your goal too. Running lean with 2.56 final drive ratio, I expect I could probably get 18 driving very carefully on the highway.

I suggest you get both!

Chuck
Old 01-14-2002, 08:42 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Default Re: Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD -- (Chuck Harmon)

try my link!
who cares about mileage - gimme MO' POWER!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D
Old 01-14-2002, 11:29 PM
inqbus383
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel injected big blocks (shawn_cake)

My car had fuel injection (the previous owner traded the whole system for a carb :confused: ) and got about 21 on the freeway. Now it gets about 14 with a holly. Rather wild 383 sbc with 3.55 gears and a nash 4+3 od transmission, final ratio .7 or so.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD -- who's done it, and what MPG?

Quick Reply: Fuel injected big blocks (or big cube small blocks) + OD -- who's done it, and what MPG?