C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with idle please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Zbad1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with idle please!!

I am very much a novice at this. Any advice would be much appreciated! It seems no matter how high I set my idle, whenever I put it in gear it will die unless I quickly give it gas. I'm not sure what is set wrong. If this has something to do with vacuum advance or timing or what. I may not even be setting my idle right. Help the greenie!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:08 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with idle please!! (Zbad1)

timing will affect your vacuum which in turn affects idle....

you want to start your idle mix about 3 turns out.....

do u have an adjustable timing light??

start at about ~14 initial and test to see if your getting ~36 by about 2500-3000 RPM ....(thats total mechanical+initial) --do that with vacuum to distributor plugged...

now connect it back up to see if the vacc advance on dist is working...
you should be getting 14 initial still if running it off of ported vacuum (at idle)
and about ~45-55 total including mechanical+vacc+initial advance at about 2500-3000 rpm...

once u have the timing curve setup right now go fine tune your mixture for MAX vacuum!!

now what does your vacuum guage read at idle?? if its less than 17 or soo and you have a mild cam, then id start checking the vacuum lines for leaks.... also the carb base plate for leaks...

so basically you need a vacuum guage and at least a basic timing light... an adjustable timing light (one with a ****) would be best...

sears sells em for ~59 bux.

:cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 05:21 PM
Zbad1
Instructor

Default Re: Help with idle please!! (daily_driver)

Wow! Thanks for the help! I'll go and get after it and see what's going on. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with idle please!!

Quick Reply: Help with idle please!!