C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:43 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Default AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED

It's official, I have driven my new combination over 100 miles and nothing big has fallen off. My latest combination is: 1.Rebuilt 454/turbo cam. 2. Aftermarket T-56 - six speed from Forte's Parts 3. New A/C system from Vintage Air 4. New mufflers 5. New C/D unit (tomorrow).

The six speed went in with modifications to the console and a new crossmember. I wanted to keep my old crossmember, in the event I change combinations and go back to the 700R4, plus I would have had to cut up the original one for this transmission to fit. Next up will be a new console, new autometer speedo/tach, seats and turbocharger.

Old 01-14-2002, 03:48 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (GWHITE75)

Details! That's a swap I want to do!
Old 01-14-2002, 03:50 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pictures!

Can you use a standard Chevy clutch and bellhousing? How does tthe internal rail shifter line up with the hole in the console?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:24 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

GWHITE75,

WOW!! Your the first that I have seen install a T-56. I have been following this forum for almost 2 years now on this. I new someone would follow through and work out the bugs to get it in there (I wasn't one of them and wussed out!!). I went with the Richmond six.

Post some pictures!:cool:

Enjoy!! :cheers:

Bob
Old 01-14-2002, 04:29 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (MikeC)

Mike C,

Yes you can use the existing bellhousing, pressure plate and clutch disc (26 spline). That's the exact reason I bought the aftermarket t-56 from Forte's Parts. He sets them up to go in older cars. I used a centerforce clutch as well. The shifter will come up in the middle of the console, you might be able to see in the picture where the shifter is now in the center of the console. I had to cut the tunnel a little more to the center and then fabricated an aluminum plate to cover the rest of the tunnel hole and riveted/sealed it on, before I put the tunnel insulation back in. Also, I had to shorten the driveshaft 5 1/4". Mine was my old 4 speed/turbo400 driveshaft. This puts the yoke back in the tunnel a bit and you will have to create clearance around it, by centering the yoke in the middle of the tunnel, removing some tunnel insulation, one of the battery cable straps and relocating the emergency brake cable pulley assembly. I built a new crossmember and I suggest you either build or have one built as well. The way I built my crossmember, allowed for my 3" exhaust to clear, enough room for the speedo cable to screw in to the tailshaft housing and bolt my brake cable pulley on a bracket I built to bolt up to the tailshaft housing. I intend to post pictures when I get all of them sorted out. I took pictures of the transmission and the A/C retrofit.

Bob,

You didn't wuss out at all. I like the Richmond 6 speed and used to run the Doug Nash 5 speed. For me, it was a matter of money and the need to do something different. I was not sure if the aftermarket would fit in the car and neither was Mike Forte, as he had not heard of anyone buyuing one for a C3. They would like pictures as well. I know the factory units will go in (maybe a little easier too) but I wanted to use my existing bell housing and speedo stuff. It wasn't the easiest thing I have ever done to this car over 23 years, but not the most difficult either.

[Modified by GWHITE75, 2:32 PM 1/14/2002]

[Modified by GWHITE75, 2:42 PM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 04:53 PM
redturbo
Intermediate

Hey gary crossmember looks sweet,good job with the tubing
Old 01-14-2002, 05:02 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (redturbo)

Terry, notice I did not take a close up of the crossmember. I'm no Mike Elliott when it comes to good looking welds. Also, I did not say where I'm going to get the turbo from, but I figure after you get the fuel injection on, you'll want two smaller ones on yours.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:19 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Wow, that's impressive.

What gear ratios did you get? How much for the tranny?
The thing that I don't like about the TKO is the big drop from 1'st to 2'nd (3.27-1.98) and that 2.97-2.07 1-2 combo is a big improvement.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

That is really impressive! The T-56 is the best manual tranny in my opinion, and it's really cool to see someone tackle putting it into a C3. The console looks good too. Awesome.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (redturbo)

redturbo,

I'd really love to hear about your turbo setup. Do you have a webpage detailing it?

My car is in a race car chassis shop getting custom turbo headers, cold air intake, intercooler, and exhaust done for a twin turbo setup - so I'd be particularly interested in hearing about yours.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:37 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (Chris A)

Chris A,

The only one he sells for the retrofits comes with the 2:97 first gear ratio and .62 final overdrive. I paid $1976.00 plus $165.00 for shipping to Houston, Texas from Burlington, MA. Give Mike a call. He's easy to talk to, road races a Camaro and knows things. 781-273-9900. http://www.fortesparts.com/
Old 01-14-2002, 11:25 PM
69Roadster
Pro

Sweet! Excelent job!:cheers:

Is the 6-speed Tremec as strong as their TKO 5-speeds?

Does Vintage Air have a kit to specifically fit C3s now? How much?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:59 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya Congrats on all your hard work! :cheers: I love to sees "Customs"...on that same note, how did you get the C4 parking & fog lights in there and does it make it run hot at all? :cool:
Old 01-15-2002, 08:54 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Mike C,

Yes you can use the existing bellhousing, pressure plate and clutch disc (26 spline). That's the exact reason I bought the aftermarket t-56 from Forte's Parts. He sets them up to go in older cars. I used a centerforce clutch as well. The shifter will come up in the middle of the console, you might be able to see in the picture where the shifter is now in the center of the console. I had to cut the tunnel a little more to the center and then fabricated an aluminum plate to cover the rest of the tunnel hole and riveted/sealed it on, before I put the tunnel insulation back in. Also, I had to shorten the driveshaft 5 1/4". Mine was my old 4 speed/turbo400 driveshaft. This puts the yoke back in the tunnel a bit and you will have to create clearance around it, by centering the yoke in the middle of the tunnel, removing some tunnel insulation, one of the battery cable straps and relocating the emergency brake cable pulley assembly. I built a new crossmember and I suggest you either build or have one built as well. The way I built my crossmember, allowed for my 3" exhaust to clear, enough room for the speedo cable to screw in to the tailshaft housing and bolt my brake cable pulley on a bracket I built to bolt up to the tailshaft housing. I intend to post pictures when I get all of them sorted out. I took pictures of the transmission and the A/C retrofit.

Bob,

You didn't wuss out at all. I like the Richmond 6 speed and used to run the Doug Nash 5 speed. For me, it was a matter of money and the need to do something different. I was not sure if the aftermarket would fit in the car and neither was Mike Forte, as he had not heard of anyone buyuing one for a C3. They would like pictures as well. I know the factory units will go in (maybe a little easier too) but I wanted to use my existing bell housing and speedo stuff. It wasn't the easiest thing I have ever done to this car over 23 years, but not the most difficult either.

[Modified by GWHITE75, 2:32 PM 1/14/2002]
[Modified by GWHITE75, 2:42 PM 1/14/2002]
Here's the R.O.D. in a C-3;

Notched crossmember for install; same length driveshaft (TH400 yoke); slight notch for reverse dog on shift; speedo extension cable; otherwise, a bolt-in.
BTW, you did a BEAUTIFUL job on that C-3! Excellent work!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 01-15-2002, 08:55 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (69Roadster)

69ROADSTER,

I wish mine was a roadster, yours looks kinda mean.

This particular 6-speed is 50 lbs/ft of torque less than the factory 6-speed GM puts in the late model performance cars (Camaro Z's) and the heavy duty TKO's. According to the Tremec website, it's rated at 400 lbs/ft, which will handle a fairly good amount of horsepower, unless you are a heavy duty drag racer, which I am not. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/product...ec/5speeds.htm

Vintage Air does not currently make a package specifically for the C3, but I found their Comp II unit fairly easy to fit under the dash. The great part is it uses no vacuum for controls, blows better than the original unit, has a smaller compressor and condensor coil, plus it does not extend into the engine compartment. The last part is very important to me, because I intend to place a turbocharger in that area of the vehicle. There is a gentleman named Roger Lewis (Lewis Makeovers 281-485-7366) in Pearland, TX. that has installed several of these units in C3's. I bought my stuff from him at a cost of $1095.00 and installed it myself.

INTIMIDATOR454,

Awesome car! You're right, Chevy should have made them your way. The C4 lens fit in fairly easy. I fabricated a couple of aluminum brackets and plugs for the halogen bulbs, then did a small bit of grinding to the lens and mounted them. Yes, they have restricted the air flow, but I have gone to greater links than most to make up for the lost air flow by sealing any area that air might leak around the radiator, don't run a flex fan, and installed a deflector, much like the one you have with your 80 front. At cruising speed the car recovers, so air does flow through sufficiently. I have a newly rebuilt 454" motor, more stock than the 496" I ran before, which I had marginal cooling issues with in the summer, where we get into the 90+ temps for a couple of months.

[Modified by GWHITE75, 6:59 AM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 09:24 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

GWHITE75,

Can you post a link to the VintageAir website showing that Comp II unit? I can't find it! I will do that a/c swap once my 454 is in and running.

You're right about the Richmond six. It is a nice unit and easy to install. I am glad I did it. However, I did like the idea of having the two overdrive gears as the T-56 does. :cool:

I wonder how long it will be before someone installs a ZF in a C3??

Bob :cheers:
Old 01-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

GWHITE75,
Don't forget to post the rest of the pictures, I'm really interested in seeing the Vintage Air setup. I'd pay $1100 for decent air for my car!

Get notified of new replies

To AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED

Old 01-15-2002, 05:02 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Default Re: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED (Bob Turner)

Bob,

Here's their site:
http://www.vintageair.com/

The proper name for the equipment I purchased is "Gen-II Compac System"

They have units sepcifically for the C2 vettes, and my unit is not exactly like the one for the C2's. I used parts of my vents for defrost, left leg and console. I adapted the hoses to the vents with 3" PVC pipe, rivets, aluminum and aluminum tape. I did this without Roger's input, and Roger might have different (more professional) ways in which he attaches his. It would be worth a call to him, after you go to the website. There were others who sell and install these units in Houston and closer to where I live, but Roger was recommended to me and he is a very pleasant person to work with.

I can say that the medium fan output on this unit is equal to the high speed output on the old fatory unit. I haven't tried the a/c yet, but Roger said I definately won't be disappointed. He cliamed he has gotten 36 - 38 degree duct temps.

[Modified by GWHITE75, 3:21 PM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 11:58 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

GWHITE75,

I found their site (quite informative) but I am unsure which unit you have. I will have to contact that gentleman down in San Antone once I am ready to see what he recommends!!

Thanks again for the info!!!!

Get out there and go driving!!

Bob :cheers:
Old 01-16-2002, 12:58 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

How does it fit under the dash, and did you remove your old A/C evaporator case on the outside? Also, does it include a heater core, or did you use a 'vette heater core?
Did you take any pictures while installing it?

Quick Reply: AFTERMARKET T-56 INSTALLED AND TESTED