C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:06 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else???

My car has always taken several cranks to start when cold - I figured that gas must be weeping out of the fuel bowl (I've never epoxied the plugs). Never bad enough to motivate me to pull the carb. However, lately it's taking longer and longer - almost to the point of running the battery down. It seems like it's having to pump gas a long way before it'll hit. Once it's finally running, restarts are almost instantaneous (even if it sits several hours), but after sitting overnight the same problem recurrs. I understand the why it takes a while to refill the bowl, but why is it taking longer now? HELP!

Old 01-14-2002, 03:13 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (Tex71BB)

you could pull your carb after letting it sit overnight and look in the top of the intake...

youll prolly see lotsa fuel sitting around....

Old 01-14-2002, 03:22 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (Tex71BB)

Maybe the problem is just a maladjusted or non functional choke, and the problem gets worse as it gets colder. I used to have the same problem, and it turned out that my choke was not working at all.

-Pedro
Old 01-14-2002, 03:40 PM
RoyArms
Racer

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (Pedro'74)

Check the choke first. I had the exact same problem that you described and also thought it must be leaking or something. After looking at it, the choke spring was not adjusted correctly. All i did was loosen the 3 screws holding that black plate on the side of the choke housing. Turn the black plate with a screwdriver untill the choke fully engages, meaning that little arm is all the way at the top. Tighten the 3 screws back up and it worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:08 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (RoyArms)

OK, this may sound silly, but here's another thought: maybe everything is working just fine, but you're not using the correct starting procedure: you must depress the accelerator pedal completely, then release it, and then start the car. That "triggers" the choke and prepares the carb for the cold start-up.

Please let us know what you find....

-Pedro
Old 01-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (Pedro'74)

I checked the choke a while back, but I'll check it again (it's the old divorced mechanical type and they are prone to hang-up).

Pedro - not silly, I'm sure lots of younger guys who've only driven FI cars wouldn't have a clue. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember how to start a carbed car from back when they were new!! My first car even had a totally manual choke (cable operated), but it was a couple of years older than me.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I this is a Qjet, "always" replace the float when you rebuild the carb. Usually, the float is more important than a new needle and seat. Chances are two things are wrong. The plugs need sealing (epoxy or JB weld) and the float has saturated with gas. It is floating low, causing additional gas to flood the engine along with the leakage from the carb plug under the bowl.

Solution: epoxy the plugs and replace the float

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :seeya
Old 01-15-2002, 09:56 PM
79er
Racer

Now come on give us young guys the benefit of the doubt. I'm 21 and my first car was a 71 Comet GT with a manual choke.
Most of as have probably done this a time or two. Light won’t work so you re-wire the car change all the fuses to find out it was a blown bulb.
:lol:
Old 01-16-2002, 02:44 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (79er)

I'm 21 and my first car was a 71 Comet GT with a manual choke.
I'm 24 and my first car was also a Mercury Comet. Unfortunately, mine had 4 doors and a straight 6.

:U :U :U
Old 01-16-2002, 03:54 AM
79er
Racer

Default Re: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else??? (Simon Alexander)

Well it looks like we both cut our teeth on the same thing. It's hard for me to admit, but I really miss that car. With it weighing in at 2800 lbs. and having a 302 under the hood. I would cruise the strip to pick on Ruststangs. For some reason they never thought that a car that looked like that would actually run. Until one while at the light and going to run a firebird I torque braked the car up and when the light went green let off the brake and heard a loud ka-tin-I DON'T FOLLOW FORUM RULES, I DARE YOU TO DOCK ME %. So I pulled over went to open the door and running from one side of the car to the other was a big crack. :cry So I yanked the engine and now it sits on my stand waiting for a new home. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else???

Quick Reply: Car is getting harder and harder to start - carb or something else???