C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting to the turn signal mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 02:38 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to the turn signal mechanism

Im trying to get to the turn signal mechanism in my 77. I have everything off/out down to the mechanism itself. I need to completly remove it to see if I indeed have a wiper switch in there. The plastic piece that the turn signal lever goes into is broken as well. I know (at least I think I do) that I need to remove the ignition switch or the extension that goes to it to get the coloum housing off. My question is, how do I get that ignition switch off? I have not been able to study it much as I have to head off to work soon, so any ideas before I start would be great.

Thanks all

Ron
Old 01-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Getting to the turn signal mechanism (2ND77)

I've taken a hundred of these things apart and would recommend first, that you try swaping out just the broken pieces on the switch. Gitting the switch connector out thru the column and then back in can be a real bear, and you run the good chance of nicking the wiring. There are about 9 million of these switches in every junk yard I've ever visited and my local yard lets me out with one of these for 0 too $2.00, depending on their mood. That's assuming I take it out myself of course. That piece that the lever mounts too is also available new at most parts stores in those little red blister packs that have all sorts of parts in them. You know the ones I'm talking about?? If you insist on replacing the entire turn-signal assembly, you are correct that you must unplug it from the ignition switch assembly. There is also a wire protector on the colum where the wiring goes up into the upper part of the column. It is best to get that out of the way or unrout (is that a word) the wiring out of it so that the plastic terminal plug on the bottom of the harnes can pass up into the column. On certain models, internal mechanical parts may still hinder the wiring removal and reinstallation but it's not uncermountable. It,s done everyday. Three screws hold the assembly in place and be sure to remove the emergency light blinker **** out the right side with a #1 phillips screwdriver. If the base is in good condition, I'ed gently remove the wiper and watch where the detent come out. If you end up just replacing this part, its fairly simple to hold in place for reassembly. I hope this is of some help. Good luck!!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. I have two papers and several pages of drawings on disassembling either the standard (non-adjustable) steering column or the T&T steering column. Your 1977 Vette has a (one year only) combination dimmer pivot and wash/wipe switch. You need to disassemble the column so that you can remove the column housing and punch out the dimmer pivot pin to remove the switch assembly.

The good news is that the combination dimmer and wash/wipe switch was used by more than just the 1977 Corvette. It was also used on the Chevette. Also it might have been used on the original General Motors 1980 - to mid 1980's X-cars (Chevrolet Citation, Buick Skylark, etc). A point to remember, the switches for the 1977 and later steering columns were the same between GM tilt columns and the GM T&T steering columns (the telescoping part of the T&T column was really just an addition to a GM tilt column). On the corvettefaq websight you can also find a paper entitled Where To Get Replacement Parts. There is a list of several suppliers that might have the switch.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:39 AM
2ND77
Instructor

Default Re: Getting to the turn signal mechanism (Jim Shea)

Thanks guys. I gather by what you are saying....that I dont need to remove the coloum housing to replace the parts that the turn signal lever attaches to. I will give it another look tonight. Thanks again

Ron
Old 01-15-2002, 10:40 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Unfortunately, you DO have to remove the column housing to remove the dimmer pivot and wash/wipe switch.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:48 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

If you do end up completely replacing the mechanism (which is my recommendation, since all of the plastic parts in the mechanism are old and brittle and do you really want to tear the column down again anytime soon?) use this trick: before pulling the old harness out, attach a wire or strong twine to it. Then when you pull it through the column, you pull the wire or string with with it. Then you attach the string to the plug on the new harness and pull it back down through. MUCH easier than trying to feed that limp noodle of a harness back down through the column!

JB

'78SA
Old 01-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Getting to the turn signal mechanism (JB)

Also before fishing the turn signal harness up through the column, use masking or duct tape to tape the plastic connector to the wiring harness. Form a bullet nose so the wires and connector will feed smoothly up through the column. If you don't tape them together, the plastic connector will toggle sideways and snag itself inside the column.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:20 AM
2ND77
Instructor

Thats what I thought. But that brings me back to my first question. Whats the trick to get the ignition switch housing out? I cant see a way to do that. I know there is a trick...I just dont know what it is. Any ideas?

Ron
Old 01-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Point of clarification. The ignition switch is down on top of the steering column, down under the dash. The ignition lock cylinder is inside the steering column head.

To remove the lock cylinder, First disconnect your battery. Now, you need to disassemble the steering column to the point where you can pull the turn signal switch part way out of the steering column. Insert your ignition key and turn your lock cylinder to the "run" position.

If your Vette is a 1969 through 1978 do the following: The 1978 and earlier lock cylinders are held in place by a metal spring tab that sticks out of the lock cylinder and engages a rectangular slot in the steering column head. At about the one o'clock position inside the column head you should see that rectangular slot (right next to the turn signal switch mounting screw boss). If your steerng column is a "virgin" and has never had the lock cylinder replaced, there will be a thin metal membrane covering the slot. Keeping a thin bladed tool to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash and the same time depress the spring tab at the lower end of the lock cylinder. With the tab depressed, the lock cylinder should slide right out.

If your Vette is 1979 or later there is an allen head screw at about the 2 o'clock position. It is right above the torks head housing screw that is at the 3 o'clock position. You must remove the allen head screw and the lock cylinder should come right out.

For a more detailed explanation on how to disassemble your steering column, go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. There are complete explantions and pictures for both the standard (non-adjustable) steering column as well as the T&T.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:46 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Thanks guys for your help. And thanks Jim for telling me about the corvettefaq web site. That place is great. Everything I need to know is there. And the lock cylinder is what I was talking about when I was saying ignition switch. Thanks again. Ill let you know how it turns out. I am going to have to look for one part. One of the plastic parts did just fall apart in my hands....ugh. Now all I have to fo is figure out what it is called so I can order it...lol.

Anyway...thanks again. This forum is great.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Getting to the turn signal mechanism

Quick Reply: Getting to the turn signal mechanism