C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

err... Fan shrowd

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 01:26 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default err... Fan shrowd

Hey guys

I'm in the process of pulling the engine in the 75, I'm having trouble finding directions on how to pull the radiator... i cant get the shrowd out of the way, So... my question is do i have to remove the support in order to get the radiator out? I read that you can supposedly pull the radiator with the hood on... i dont see how (the hoods off tho and i cant figure it out)

Thanks guys :confused:
Old 01-14-2002, 01:34 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: err... Fan shrowd (ZD75blue)

As far as I know, yes you can pull the radiator with the hood on. IMO it is MUCH easier with the hood off though. Don't make the same mistake I did if you choose to take the hood off, stencil around the hinges so that you can properly put it back on. If the hood is not properly aligned...it will close but it won't open (ask me how I know :) ). No, I don't believe you have to pull the entire support in order to get the radiator out. Make sure you have all the bolts out of the shroud and the radiator.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:05 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: err... Fan shrowd (bence13_33)

hoods already off... i guess i'm in for alot of time aligning it.

So i just have to loosen afew bolts on the support... i'll look at it later

Thanks bence :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The radiator should slide up and out. It is a two man operation, unless you are 7' 3" with 6' arms. Then once the radiator is out you can remove the shroud. (may have to remove the upper two bolts on the core support and loosen the bottom, then tilt the support forward to get the shroud out.)

tom...
Old 01-14-2002, 02:12 PM
John Dirks
Instructor

I took my rad out a couple times. What worked for me was I removed the hood (marked the hinges first), took off my fan and fan clutch, removed all the rad support bolts except the bottom one on each side, these I only loosened, then I was able to tilt the rad support away from the engine and free up loads of working space.
Good luck. :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: err... Fan shrowd (John Dirks)

I've pulled mine a couple of times, but did it different than John did. I removed the fan and clutch. I unbolted all the radiator bolts and pulled the radiator toward the front of the car. Then I had to work the "dimple" in the shroud around the upper control arm bolts. Then the radiator comes out by rotating the top toward the passengers side of the car to let the lower hose connection clear the suspension as it comes out. It's easier with two people to do it, but I did it by myself the last time. I think the secret is to just keep working at it till it comes out. It's obvious that John and I did it differently, so it's kind of a case of what works for one guy may be different for another.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

This is a very difficult thing to do without violating commandment 4:

"Thou shalt not swear at thy Vette..."

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To err... Fan shrowd

Quick Reply: err... Fan shrowd