C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust valve clearance problems

Old 01-14-2002, 12:56 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Exhaust valve clearance problems

I was putting the stock exhaust manifolds back on the car, and the swinging weight on the heat riser contacts the exhaust flange and won't open. This is the right hand manifold for a BB. Does anyone have a picture of their valve, or know of something I might be doing wrong? It's been too long since I removed the exhaust, and from looking at the AIM, I'm putting it together correctly. Thanks for any help you can give; I've got oil and coolant in, and I hope to fire it up this week.

Ken
Old 01-14-2002, 05:15 PM
bb69
Drifting

Default Re: Exhaust valve clearance problems (bb69)

As far as I can tell, there is only one way to put the heat riser on. Of the three orientations, one makes the weight hit the frame, and the other won't go together because of a boss on the manifold itself. Has anyone ever seen a heat riser that was bent, causing it to hit the exhaust pipe flange?
Old 01-14-2002, 07:23 PM
bb69
Drifting

Default Re: Exhaust valve clearance problems (bb69)

I just reread the title and realized it sounds like a valvetrain problem.

Anyway, has anyone else had a problem installing the heat riser valve between the exhaust manifold and exhaust piping on a big block? I would hate to remove the part, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Bending the heat riser is not an option because it's cast iron, and would break. Any other thoughts? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust valve clearance problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust valve clearance problems