C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 11:00 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses

I had to replace one of the hoses on my trans lines that run into the radiator. My radiator had 'walked' to the right about 1" due to weakened/failing support and the hose had rubbed against something and wore a hole. When I replaced, I noted that 3/8" hose fit better (read easier) than 5/16" hose. Should I use 3/8" hose on both trans lines where they enter radiator or does it use 3/8" only on the 'lower' fitting? Gonna replace the upper trans hose along with lower radiator hose, the support and rubber support pads. Setting me back about $375 with shipping... OUCH! Can't risk driving it anymore with the fatigued radiator support.

Also, what is the correct rubber support pad size for my L48. 2" or 2 5/8"? Both are offered for my year C3.

[Modified by TedH, 10:01 AM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 11:33 AM
xfactor974
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses (TedH)

I think that it would be a bad idea to use 3/8 hose. It might not hold the pressure. Maybe you can use a helicoil or something to fix the threads. If it's moved too much you might just be better getting a dedicated trans cooler and hooking that up. I remember that you put the 700R4 in your car. It would be a good idea to consider it anyway. I'm not sure what the correct rubber support is for the L48. Maybe one is for automatic and the other manual? Not sure.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:51 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses (xfactor974)

Only option is to use hose from steel trans line to the steel line that enters the radiator (hose is standard at this junction).
Old 01-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 77, the rad for an L48 was not as thick as for an L82.
That being said, if your rad has been recored, you may need to get the larger one.
Measure twice, buy once!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:58 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted, I know what you mean, those hoses are a real pain in the a__ to get on. Never thought about going slightly larger. As long as the hoses don't blow off under operation, don't see what the harm is........suggest you double clamp each hose connection, and make sure you purchase hose designed for automatic transmission fluid, not just vacuum hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses

Quick Reply: Correct Size for Trans Line-To Radiator Hoses