C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (What should it do?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 09:19 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (What should it do?)

What Exactly Does the Transmission InterLock Cable do on a 69 4 Speed Car?
Is it supposed to lock the steering column when you put the car in into reverse?
I know it connects to the reverse linkage on the tranny and when put into reverse the cable lifts up a little arn on the column but it does not seem like it does anything on my car.
Any help would be great.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:14 AM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (James)

It locks the transmission in reverse when the car is placed in reverse before turning the key to the "Lock" position. It was the first "standard" anti-theft device used, locking both the steering column in the current position and the car in reverse.

It should be connected to the reverse linkage on the transmission in order to work. I have a book around here somewhere with a good picture of the connection. :smash:
Old 01-14-2002, 11:20 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (rainman69)

Thanks for the information.
So what you are saying is that when you park, put the car into reverse, turn the key off, and the car is locked in reverse until the car is started or the key is put back into the ingnition and turned out of the lock position.
I need to fix my ignition switch because it will go all the back to the lock position. I bet once this is fixed things will work correctly.
Thanks again.
How hard are ignition switches to remove and new ones to put in?

Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

The ignition switch is on top of the steering column under the dash. You need to drop the column to get to it. Sometimes problems that seem to be in the lock cylinder are really due to improperly adjusted switches. I'd do a little more investigation before pulling the steering wheel and tearing into the lock cylinder. I'd also forget about the anti-theft cable if I were you; they're more of a pain than they are worth IMHO.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

James, if the cable is mossing or disconnected, then you will be able to turn the key back to lock and remove the key in any gear. It could be just as simple as hooking up the cable to make it work, and then the key would only be able to be removed if the car was in reverse, and it would remain there until you inserted the key and unlocked the column. It's a simple device but is a theft deterrent, and I would look into gettting it working if possible.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:30 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (Allan71)

Thanks again for the help guys.
I just put a new Antilock cable in and connected it up that is why I was curious about the functionality.
I will look at it closer tonight and see what is going on.

Old 01-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If you go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering you will find a paper entitled Adjust Dimmer and/or Dimmer Switch. This could be a big help if you need to drop the column and do any switch adjustments.

When you place your manual transmission in Reverse (Park with automatics) the interlock cable pushes the lever on the lower end of the column. When the lever is all the way "up" this opens a gate inside the steering column and allows your key in the lock cylinder to be rotated from OFF to OFF-LOCK.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (What should it do?)

Quick Reply: 4 Speed Transmission InterLock Cable??? (What should it do?)