C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Inhibitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 08:58 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rust Inhibitors

I started the winter projects on the 74 and while I was disconnecting things I saw that there was a lot of rust in the coolant. Last year I drained the coolant, flushed the system and refilled with a 30/70 mix of anti freeze and water. I don't have any cooling problems but the rust bothers me and makes a mess of the overflow tank. Has anyone used a rust inhibitor and if so did it work well. Also, what type of system flush have you used that worked well. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:29 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rust Inhibitors (vettfixr)

TTT
No one?
Old 01-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

There is usually a whole lot of rust inside an old block. I think the only way to get rid of it is to have the block boiled out. I know that phosphoric acid in the presence of oxygen will convert rust (iron oxide) to iron phosphate. I don't know of any coolant system treatment that will completely remove all the rust.
Last year I used a store bought coolant flush, it did a fair job on the radiator, but when I pulled the heads last month, there was 32 years of scale and rust inside the block.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a rust remover based on phosphor acid. These attacks only corrosion, not bare metal.
After a couple of days all rust was gone and I flushed the system and filled antifreeze. Since then (1/2 a year ago) the antifreeze has stayed clean.
The overflow tank also got completely clean inside.
Dishwashing detergent can also be used, but this in my experience doesn't remove the rust.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:37 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rust Inhibitors (Ingar, Norway)

Thanks for the replies everyone. For flushing the system I found a radiator cap with a hose connection at the local auto store a few years ago. All you do is put it on the radiator, connect a hose to it and leave the radiator petcock open. It seemed to do a good job when I flushed it last year. I think what I did wrong is that I used a flush agent but didn't run it in the engine very long. If I remember correctly the bottle said to run it for a few hundred miles but I drained it out much sooner. This year I'll give it more time and see if it makes a difference. I hate to put in my new overflow tank and have it looking like crap in a week. Again, thanks for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust Inhibitors

Quick Reply: Rust Inhibitors