C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUMB QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 12:33 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUMB QUESTION

Can carpet or cloth interior be dyed? I don't mean to change the color. Just to make it look better. Any advise on products to use and application will be most welcome. :conehead
Old 01-14-2002, 12:39 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: DUMB QUESTION (A78Corvette)

My black carpet was in good shape but faded to a dark gray. Sprayed it with vinyl dye like you buy at the auto store or from the Vette. part dealers. Came out looking new. Don’t know if it is recommended but it sure is cheap and easy.

BTW, nothing dumb about the question.

George
Old 01-14-2002, 02:34 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: DUMB QUESTION (A78Corvette)

It absolutely can. I've never done it on the vette but my camaro had dyed carpet on the center console - used RIT dye in black - applied it with a brush - never wore off.

Problem with dye on the carpet in the footwells is the amount of scuffing your feet will do - if the dye doesnt fully penetrate the carpet fibers it will wear off - our carpets are for the most part nylon or some other synthetic fibre so i would expect that absorbtion of the dye would be minimal, you may find yourself redoing it every now and again - if doing the same color I doubt it would be that noticable.

Get notified of new replies

To DUMB QUESTION

Quick Reply: DUMB QUESTION