C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, So I Lied....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:38 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Ok, So I Lied....

...in one of the previous threads someone asked me when I would start pulling the small block. I said that I wasn't going to start until I had the big block built. Well I got the "itch" tonight and started :). I pulled the side pipes (which by the way are for sale), air cleaner assembly, fan & fan clutch and drained the coolant. I didn't have a lot of time so that's all I got done so far, within the next couple days I hope to pull the fan shroud and radiator.

FYI I did fire the small block up a couple of times with the exhaust off :reddevil.

I also removed my junk 454 block from the engine stand. No one was around to help me so I had to lift that SOB of the stand by myself. I also completely stripped down my Lakewood bellhousing and repainted it with red 1200 degree ceramic paint, looks like brand new.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:42 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (bence13_33)

Your definition of not a lot of time and mine must be quite a bit different!
Then again you have a Vette at what 20 years before me... :rolleyes:
Old 01-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Was the small block an L-48 or L-82? If L-82, what are your plans for it?
Old 01-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Bence:

We will forgive you this time but you will have to go to bed early and no internet tonight! :lol: :lol:
Old 01-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I know what you mean about "the itch". :lol: I get them alot, and it usually ends up being a couple year complete rebuild of something. :D Good luck, hope everything goes well.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:58 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (sharklover)

I do have a couple of questions though.

Can/should I use the stock clutch fan with the big block? I was just wondering if it would circulate enough air.

My other question deals with pulleys. I currently have a three groove crank pulley with the small block. The power steering belt goes on the very last groove (closest to the radiator). The pulley that I purchased is only a two groove big block crank pulley (which is all I'll need because I won't be running AC). Can I use my big block 2 groove pulley or do I need to purchase a big block 3 groove crank pulley? It would appear as though the belt won't fit straight across with a 2 groove pulley.

sharklover:
It is an L48. It's a numbers matching engine (I kept all the parts I took off), I plan on bagging it up and storing it. Who knows, maybe someday I'll grow out of this "hotrodding" stage and want a good reliable cruising engine.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:12 AM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the price for your sidepipes? and any other info.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (JIM)

You've got mail.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Bence, SB side pipes??? how much, and is your city near south central Pa?? as in Chambersburg/Carlysle ????

GENE
Old 01-14-2002, 08:18 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

I knew you would get started on this soon after taking that BB in!!!!! Once you have set up the engnie compartment, the 454 will be NO problem getting in there!!

Bob:cool:

[Modified by Bob Turner, 6:19 AM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 09:20 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

bence
How much for the pipes?? got a bud that just picked up a 71. He really wants side pipes. I am purchasing a set off a fellow member also.
Home email respersen@cfl.rr.com

Thanks
Bob
Old 01-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Bence, I currently have the stock BB radiator (it's clean inside) and shroud with a brand new fan clutch, and the cooling capacity is borderline at best. It runs ok when the temperature is 80 or below, but when it's 90+ things get real hot (220+). Running down the highway in the Summer is a "heated" experience!

The best (but $$$!) solution seems to be an aluminum rad with Spal fans. I'll probably try the fans with my stock 4 core first to see if it's adaquate.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:00 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (Flareside)

Bob:
Yea, I kind of had the feeling that I was going to start ripping and tearing early too. I just want everything to be ready for the big block. I still have quite a bit of time to complete this project before spring time. The only problem is that I go back to school this Thursday....so I will be battling with college and the big block (studies come first though). We'll see how things pan out.

Joe:
I was talking with my buddy the other day (the buddy with the 454 Camaro) and he's running a stock SB radiator with a flex fan and one electric fan. His setup tends to heat up when he gets stuck in town from stop light to stop light. I think I'm going to try using my Modine radiator and my clutch fan and see how cool it runs. I'll probably plop a 160 degree thermostat in too. If that doesn't work I'll probably go with an aluminum radiator and the dual electric fans like you mentioned.

I hope to rip the fan shroud and radiator out of the car tonight (if time allows).

As for the side pipes, I have no use for them so I'm asking $150 + Shipping for the side pipes, rocker panels (cut to fit the side pipes) and connector pipe that runs from the side pipes to the exhaust manifolds. If you have exhaust manifolds these pipes will bolt right up. If you have headers, I have a connector kit that I purchased from Jeg's for $50 that I would be willing to sell for $35. If you are interested please e-mail me direct at: jbence@adelphia.net. Thanks. :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Bence,

Take your time, get that engine out, and do some detailing while you have the room to work. Cleaning, prepping, and painting.

Are you planning on changing front coil springs?

What are you studying in college?
Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 05:55 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (Bob Turner)

Bob:
I plan on painting the engine compartment with a brush and some black lacquer paint once I have the small block out. I have a set of big block springs out of a '73 Corvette that I will use. I'm going to wait until I drop the engine in before I change the springs. The added weight of the big block should make installing the heavier duty springs a little easier.

My major is in elementary education. I didn't do too bad my first semester (2.94)...I hope to improve upon it this spring semester. I think one of the things that's in my favor is that I commute (I live 15 minutes away from campus). I figure with me staying at home there should be fewer distractions (other than the big block of course :) ) and I won't "party myself out of school."
Old 01-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Bence, why do you need the engine in the car to change the springs? You're not planning the "floorjack under the A-arm" method, are you? Don't do it, it's dangerous! Look up all the topics about the "Maryland Spring Compressor" in Factory Correct Resto. You can make one with $15 in parts from Home Depot or Lowes.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=174935

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 5:16 PM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 06:05 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you have the engine out you should change the front brake lines. Also the A frame bushings.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, So I Lied....

Old 01-14-2002, 11:27 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (Flareside)

Tonight I pulled the fan shroud, radiator, radiator support and took the hood off. I have come to the conclusion that from now on I am removing the hood everytime I take the fan shroud and radiator out (it makes life much easier on myself). I'm going to strip the radiator support down and paint it while I have it out. I also think I'm going to get myself a nice aluminum radiator...I don't want to have to worry about my engine overheating.

Slowly but surely...

Joe:
Thanks for the link, I think I'll keep that in mind when it's time to change the springs.

Ken:
Sounds like a good idea, should I go with some polyurethan bushings?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:13 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm impressed that you got the 454 block off the engine stand by yourself!!!:eek:

You now have my total respect, as I know oh too well how heavy those "bad boys" are.

U da Man, Bencerino!!!

Regards, Mark :chevy
Old 01-15-2002, 12:45 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Ok, So I Lied.... (marky mark)

marky mark:
It was only the bare 454 block....but man did that thing have some weight to it! I layed it down on palet that was nearby and that is where it currently resides. I'll probably rip at the engine a little more tonight...I think I may pull the transmission, bellhousing and clutch. Then all I need to do is get another engine stand, disconnect some wires and I can pull the small block out and start cleaning and painting!

It's weird, whenever I look at this project as a whole it seems impossible....but whenever I brake it down into steps it seems really simple. Strange huh?

Quick Reply: Ok, So I Lied....