C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 08:41 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD!

Im in the process of trying to find out why my car runs so cold. Its around 40 here at the coldest and my car will not even reach 150. I replaceda the thermostat about a month ago so I dont think its stuck open. Yesterday I noticed that the electric fan mounted on the inside of the radiator was running when the car was warming up. I would think that this fan should only run when the car begins to overheat. Any ideas guys and gals-Thanks in advance-Travis
Old 01-13-2002, 08:51 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD! (TJKirby82CE)

check if the thermal switch for the fan is stuck, giving ground all the time...(even with engine off!!)

also check to see the real temperature maybe your temp guage is showing the wrong temp!!!!

and bare in mind a temp sensor difference between one mounted in head and on mounted in manifold!!!
:cheers:
Old 01-13-2002, 09:04 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD! (daily_driver)

I relpaced the coolent temp sensor about a month ago. Is this the same as the temp sensor? How do I verify the acutal temperature of the engine is the same as the gauge?-Thanks Travis
Old 01-13-2002, 09:25 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD! (TJKirby82CE)

the temp sensor for your guage is prolly mounted on the drivers side head...

the thermal switch that gives ground for your fans is prolly on the manifold somewhere.... it prolly has 180 or 190 on the switch to let you know what temp is turns on at (gives ground at).... doing a continuity check on the wire comming from your fan thermal switch and ground will test if the fan should be on then.,..----if the continuity test beeps, then its on and u can determine if the engine is on or off and looking at temp guage if you need to replace that thermal switch or if its stuck.....

some people like to use a mechanical temp guage thingie or some like to use a turkey thermometer in the radiator.....

if the sensor for the guage is in the head then i think that temp difference is ~like 15 degrees diff from the manifold... but dont quote me on that one..... thought i read it here on the forum some time ago...

:cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 02:37 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD! (daily_driver)

Mabey someone can clarify....ttt
Old 01-14-2002, 02:47 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the optional supplemental electric fan on my '81. The themo switch sending unity is located on passenger side of the head, between #s 8 and 6 cylinders. This switch was designed to turn the fan on when temperature reached about 210 to 220 degrees, so if your fan is coming on before then, and it sure sounds like it is, suggest this switch is malfunctioning, or previous owner wired the car to bypass the switch, and it's operating direct from the relay. (Note the thermo switch sends a signal to a relay, which then turns the fan on.) Check AIM or repair manual electrical schematic if you have questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD!

Quick Reply: Should my Electric fan be running at idle?Car too COLD!