C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else?

When making a left turn @ high speed you hear / feel a vibration. Above 70 mph I get a vibration. There is in/out play in the right rear wheel.

Methinks it's time to do the dreaded trailing arms removal / wheel bearing replacement / rear suspension rebuild. :cry: What do you guys think it might be? Any way to tell for sure before tearing into it? My shark only has 55k mi, BUT it sat for many a year unattended. :seeya
Old 01-13-2002, 06:48 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else? (Juliet)

Hay Juliet, Have youchecked the two half shafts and the u-joints? My friend had the same thing with her 84 and it turned out to be haft shafts and the universal joints? :confused:
Old 01-13-2002, 08:17 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else? (killain)

Juliet check the bushings to see if there is play in those first, they are MUCH easier to replace. If the bushings are in good shape and you can move the tire with hands at 6 & 12 o'clock in the air, then it may be the bearings :( . Check the simply easy things first ;) .
Old 01-13-2002, 08:38 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else? (Juliet)

Jules,
Check the end play and feel by hand with the 1/2 shaft disconnected. Place a spacer or socket under the T arm to hold level. If you feel any ruffness or noise it might be time. My 72 had 55k miles on it and the bearing were still good but I pulled them apart anyway to replace/grease everything.
My friends 62 had sat for about 15 years before he got back on the road. He had to replace the bearings in the trany because it sat and they took a "set". The tranny sounded like an M-22! The tranny was rebuild prior to letting the car sit for that time. Hopefully it's just U-joints.
Gary
Old 01-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 244 Posts

Hi Juliet,
I replaced my rear bearings this fall. They were not loose or noisy.
However, the grease was very dry and was not lubricating the bearings properly. Failure was in the near future.
The number of miles is not the only factor here, Time is as well.

I would plan on doing the "dreaded trailing arms removal" soon any way.
To keep any vehicle reliable, you must do the maintenance.

I would think with the low miles, your arm bolts should not be a problem.

Barry
Old 01-13-2002, 09:49 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else? (Barry's70LT1)

You already said you have wheel play, so that indicates wheel bearings. Of course if wheel bearings are worn out, the likelihood of also finding that your half shafts are worn out and your trailing arm bushings are worn out is great. It just makes sense to take care of all of it at once. One other thing, that I once learned the hard way: make sure your LUG NUTS are tight!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 11:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

the bearings are checked by the 9-3 oclock position,....very little play, takes a fine touch to feel it,
the 1/2 shaft end play (worn yokes) is checked in the 12-6 position....along with examination of the struts, very carefully, for worn bushings....bolts off center ....worn rubber...

takes two people to check yokes/shafts end play.....strong one on the wheel and other to observe end play...

another way is get car in air, rear wheels about 3-4 inches off ground, take a large pry bar fulcrumed (pivoted) on a 2x4, and from under wheel, rock it in and out, watching 1/2 shanfts and struts....

GENE
Old 01-14-2002, 12:23 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juliet remember i'm not a mechanic. Before my 78 was totaled i noticed wear on the inside of my rear tires. I had recently bought all four. I took it back to the tire and alignment shop and they told me my rear bearings were bad. I took the car to a reputable frame shop in Chatt. . The rear tires were simply lined up wrong. Also try putting one bottle of GM posi traction additive before you do all this work. Hope this helps. :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else?

Quick Reply: Sound like wheel bearing / rear suspension rebuild time? Or something else?