C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:46 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ??

I have a 79 Vette..... nice, but with some rough edges! A few things Im worried about and a few things I need to do that I may need some advice on. Whoever has redone the leather before me, covered the door lock holes and I assume the door locks are not there. The doors unlock and lock by key only ( WHICH I HATE ) Any advice? Also, my windows function up and down, but the driver especially almost just falls when it is rolled down. the way it rolls up its like its not on track properly ( and I have some gaps on both side that WILL LEAK BADLY! The things I must do, I just purchased it, and I have it insured, but not inspected or registered..... I MUST get These things done to pass inspection..... My horn on the original steering wheel does not work I have tried pulling off the dash, and I am just not mechanically enclined to figure it out.... Newer cars yes... this one NO.... I must also get my speedometer to register! Either its unplugged or broken. Anyone Tell me the cheapest way to get a used or rebuilt A/C unit for a 79 and how much am I looking for. Do I get books and do these small parts myself, or should I see a small town mechanic!?? Anyone who has any ideas, please shoot them my way!

Take care,

Chris
Old 01-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (FR879vette)

Welcome,
Get yourself the AIM from any of the corvette places. For the A/C big $$ to have someone do it I would guess. But it can be done. Window ahh need someone elses input for the fix on this. I know the AIM has an adjustment sequence in it. The locks, bubba was there too I would think you could cut the opening for the lock back open put the gromet in and a new **** available on those "help" racks at most parts stores. The horn start with the fuse, then in the steering wheel at the contact points or possibly the relay. The contact points in the steering wheel is the most common place it fails I believe.

Good Luck
Scott
Old 01-13-2002, 02:46 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (Scott78)

The door lock **** should be located between the arm rest and the door.
Just thought I'd mention that since is a somewhat unique place.
Jason
Old 01-13-2002, 03:46 PM
Stephanie's Bad 79
Racer

Hi, and welcome to MY world! I have a 79 also, and the door locks on mine are located in the armrest, just inside the place where your handle pull is - there should be ***** that stick out. It might be that the bubba didn't feed the lock arm through the hole in the door to the arm rest hole. See if there isn't a hole in it - that'll tell you. Regarding windows - oh, the trouble I've seen! - you have to pull the door panel off, disconnect your window wires (if you have power windows) and read your shop manual on adjusting, or better yet, find a corvette guy near you that can adjust the windows - this, honest to God, can take all day - been there.
Usually, it requires lossening the bolts that hold the windows in place (front to back, forward to back) getting in the car, rolling the windows up with the door shut, then tightening all the bolts. Not a big deal, but a major PITA.
If you need any more help, ask - I have torn the interior out in mine five times. I used the shop manual, trial and error, and can probably help with most stuff - another guy who is very knoweldgeable and has our car is Paul79 and Fauxrs - very helpful guys!
Your speedo cable might be disconnected (so no miles rack up!) at the transmission housing underneath - check to see if there isn't a loose cable on the driver's side. Or, it may have snapped. A speedo shop can replace it for about $95.
I had my AC conversted to r34 for about $1100 - no joke. But mine requiired a new control valve inside the console.
It takes an experienced ac gy/gal to convert - do you have any original parts or need the whole set-up?
Old 01-13-2002, 04:54 PM
akstreker
Intermediate

hey bro lol im in the same boat with you i got a 76 which is in poor shape lost of stuff not working lol the guy who i got my car from he also redone the leather what he did was he coverd up the holes for the dore handelse also converd up the buttons in the back of the seat with leather best of all he coverd up the upper light dono how but he did it. also to take off the dash is quite esay unscrew alll the screws then reach under the dash take off the wires and tillt your steerin wheel all the way down so its esay to take if off. my speedometer wasent hooked up seems like you got the same problem what you will see is little a cup thing on the end of a lage cable with a pin in the center thats your speedometer cable hook it up and it should work.your windows open up the doors and chek out whats up seems like you window isent attached to the trak lol try pulling the window out from the door if it gowes esay thats your problem buy a manual it should help. Also my AC pupm unit is off too because there is a new racing engine in there and the alterntor is on the side were the AC pump should be. what im gonna do is go to a shop and get some smaller newer AC unit off newer car instaled pluse most people know the vette AC blows :cheers: e mail me if you want to ask somthing akstreker@aol.com :seeya
Old 01-13-2002, 05:14 PM
thermoquad
Racer

Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (akstreker)

Definiely get a manual-you can get a semi-decent one, Haynes or such at most local parts stores. If the car had cruise control, there's a good chance that the transducer is the culprit re:speedo not working; an it can also waste the driven gear at the trasmission. You gotta have manuals, spare time and some disposable income w/these cars.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:43 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (Stephanie's Bad 79)

Thanks For all the advice!!! I have not a single piece of the AC in the car... Fully removed! :( what options and money figure do you think Im looking at?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:44 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (Scott78)

Thanks for all the advice! I like yoru vette, looks nice! I cant figure out how to send my photos on this thing yet or I would send it to ya! Where are u located?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:46 AM
FR879vette
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ?? (akstreker)

Let me know what AC u go with and how it works!!! Im in Texas and I have to have one in this car by MAY! What $ amount are you thinking it will cost? Keep me posted, and thanks for the advice!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:22 AM
akstreker
Intermediate

hey basicly wow all of it missing you dont have a control pannel for the AC ether or any o the stuff under the dash? what im doing now is i got a control panel like that thing with the two rolers off a BMW its the same exact thing but it two sliders insted of the rollers more options and looks better i wish i had a pic. and as far as the compressor i just took one off the same BMW smaller and probably works better hey its BMW so it should. what i did i took of the mounts off the BMW for the pump and got another corvette mount because mine was missing. in a week or two im taking it to the shop and the guy is gonna have to cut the top of the bmw mount and then bottom of the corvette mount then weld them togher im gonna use the corvette blet for the AC to engine.the guy at the shop is only asking me for 200 bux cuz i did most of the stuff alredy like get a pump and planed every thing out. normaly this work run you at about 2000$ i recomend getting a panel and wiring yourself should cut out about 500 bux if you do that its up to you man kinda sux to spend 2000 bux on a AC when you can buy nice mods for your car with that money but i understand why you need it lol its texas :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 02:53 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FR879vette:

Stephanie's got the windows number for sure, they can be a pain but they arent too tough once you figure out how they actually adjust. there are only two - maybe three adjustments that can be made on the windows and they have to do with the locations of the various tracks and guides. Especially at the top where there are two devices that keep the window located properly. It sounds as if either these are missing , badly worn or very badly adjusted.

The speedometer cable is also your likely suspect for the speedo problem. a replacement can be had from NAPA for about $50 (dont quote me on that one) and they are incredibly easy to install although connecting the speedo up is a job for a midget or a contortionist. One end of the cable threads onto the end of your transmission on the passenger side I believe, near the crossmember, the other end simply snaps onto the end of the speedo, you do not have to drop the steering column or anything like that to get to the speedo connection.

also it is highly unlikely that you should need to pull the dash off, both instrument clusters can be removed without doing this.

The horn button is a common problem, and usually has to do with broken plastic rivets in the button assembly - whole assemblies can be purchased from Zip or any other vette retailer - check this page out - if you buy from Zip using the forum resto pages you can get 5% off i believe. http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/s...rn-button.html

AC can be a real pain and is often best left to pros unless you are patient or really know what you are doing.

Get an Assembly instruction manual and a haynes manual

Keep on wavin'

Get notified of new replies

To HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ??

Quick Reply: HELP WITH MY 79 VETTE !! ?? !! ?? !! ??