C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:39 AM
NJ74STINGRAY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Leaking

HI.Went for a ride yesterday and smelled gas pulled over and looked under to see a few drops of gas leaking from the fuel pump.The leak is coming from the connection or at least it looks like from were the line from the gas tank runs into the fuel pump.I checked the connection and it was tight.Was wondering when it was put back on if there is supposed to be any sealer or something on the threads..The line from the pump to the carb is ok.It was fine before the rebuild.Thanks for any help. >STW<Frank
Old 01-13-2002, 10:48 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (NJ74STINGRAY)

Frank,
Do you have the rubber "s" hose from the main gas line to the pump or a differant connection to the pump? Also is it the stock Delco pump or an aftermarket one? A lot of the aftermarket mechanical pumps have a gasket around them do you can reposition the fitting to your car application- maybe it's leaking from that point?
Gary
Old 01-13-2002, 10:51 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

usually the fuel lines get very cracked with age.....

get some long lengths of line ~4 feet or soo... and when you disconnect the old lines put the 4 foot lines on it and let it hang over the fender... since the lines are soo long and going up and over the fender --then this is the same as plugging the lines...--although much easier..

now u can install new fuel pump in peace... might as well put a new one on while your there!!

u shouldnt need pipe sealer on the brass fittings, although some people do use thread tape on em...
Old 01-13-2002, 12:48 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (gtr1999)

Frank,
If you have the original style fuel pump, you will have a steel flare nut line running from the pump to the carb and a rubber line running from the frame rail to the pump. If the rubber line is old and the spring clamps are the original, I woud replace the all the rubber parts and the clamps. I would be carefull that the gas is not coming from the weap hole in the pump. If this is the case it tells you that the pump diaphram is leaking and the pump needs replacing. I would also check the oil for any gas leaking into the oil. Before you remove any of the gas lines you need to pinch off the fuel flow from the tank as gravity will give you a constant flow of gas,especially if the tank is full, this can be dangerous. Obviously now open flames or smoking when doing this job.
Regards
Ed
Old 01-13-2002, 02:21 PM
NJ74STINGRAY
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (ED DINAPOLI)

HI Guy's,Just crawled out from under the car,not much room on sides of garage.Checked the rubber hoses and clamps look fine,the pump to carb line>METAL< has a drip coming from the flange connection from the pump to the carb.Loosened it up and then retightned it.Ed the oil does smell like gas and has a feel to it liek it is not as thick as it should be.Looks like an orginal style pump.Is the pump shot.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:24 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Frank,
If you are getteing gas in your oil ,it sounds like the pump is leaking. You will need to replace the pump if this is the case. You need to very carefull with a gas leak in an enclosed garage. Make sure you disconnect the battery ,keep all open flames and elcetrical appliances away from the area. You will also need to change your oil. Good luck.
Ed
Old 01-13-2002, 03:33 PM
NJ74STINGRAY
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (ED DINAPOLI)

Thanks Ed,I will give my mechanic a call tomm and see when he can do it.To cold and like you said I don't want to mess around with it in an attached garage.Figures the only thing the engine rebuilder did not replace.Any recomandations on a pump or just go back to stock one.Thanks All for your replies.Frank
Old 01-13-2002, 08:07 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Frank,
Sorry for your trouble. If you are not going to modify your engine, I would go with the straight GM replacement. Make sure you dont get an LT1 pump as it will not have a return line. Best of luck.
Ed
Old 01-13-2002, 08:19 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Hi Frank I just checked back and see you found the problem. I would use a Delco original type pump vs the aftermarket performance type. I have the Delco on my 72 and a Carter mechanical on the 69. I had some installation problems routing the gas hoses on the 69 where the Delco bolted rioght in and everything fit well. I remember changing the pump in a garage during the winter too with about 2' space between the car and wall-PITA! I was 20 years younger and 30 lbs lighter then so that helped! :D I picked up the original type pumps lines and filter last year so I'll be changing the 69 back when I start rebuilding it.
If all goes well I look forward to Sat.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:38 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (gtr1999)

Frank I remember someone suggesting changing the pump when we were at the rebuilder :blueangel: :cheers:
Ritchie did say the pump looked fairly new though.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:03 PM
CWUin82
Burning Brakes

Frank,
Always something going on with these cars. Look at the bright side....you didn't break down miles from nowhere. Good luck, and see you soon.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:04 PM
NJ74STINGRAY
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (69er)

Yes Joe, We also asked about the water pump.>Fingers Crossed<.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:17 PM
NJ74STINGRAY
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Pump Leaking (CWUin82)

HI JIm,How you doing?You got much snow? Yes jim alway's something. Joe asked the rebuilder and the pump LOOKED brand new.Good thing I did not get stuck.As always thank's for the help guy's! See you on sat Jim & Gary
Old 01-13-2002, 09:30 PM
CWUin82
Burning Brakes

Frank,
Got a few inches of wet snow today. So far this winter not much at all. The snow Gods have been asked to hold off until AFTER next wekend.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Rexx
Instructor

Yup. Like the other guys have said: It probably the rubber fuel lines that are cracked. If they're hard and don't flex easily, replace them. New clips too. The tines broke off my mine when I tried to get them off. Besides, the new clips are shiny and red! :conehead

Personally, I'm in the Teflon thread tape camp. Also, the GM assembly manuals refer to a rubber sealant/lubricant when you put the rubber lines on the fuel pump.

I've heard that using a little bit of transmission fluid to help seal the rubber hose on the fitting helps. The theory is that the fluid would "burn" off and seal the connection. Fact or fiction? Maybe the Forum knows. :)

-Rexx

Old 01-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel pump is designed so that there is a vent running to the outside of the pump casing. There needs to be one so that the diaphram can move. It's also convenient so that when the diaphram gets a hole in it you will immediately see fuel leaking out. I would recommend replacing the fuel pump with a stock replacement and see if that stops the leak. No fuel should be getting into the oil though, but there's always a first.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Leaking

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Leaking