C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Control Valve-Pitman Arm Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default PS Control Valve-Pitman Arm Noise

Just finished putting the front suspension back under the 69. I had the A Frames rebuilt with new ball joints and bushings. Also put on new tie rod ends and sleeves. Got everything hooked back up. The car is still up on jackstands. Had my wife in the car turning the wheel rapidly from right to left, while I laid under the car checking my connections. With every turn of the wheel, I heard "ka-chuck, ka-chunk". Isolated it to the PS control valve. The ball IN the PS control valve is loose..it moves about 1/4 inch with each turn of the wheel, creating the noise. The pitman arm connection is fine. I never touched the valve. I left the relay rod, idler arm, and all the PS stuff on the car, so this must have been like this before I started. The car wasn't running, so the PS system was not pressurized. Should the "ball" have this much motion within the PS control valve, and make this much noise? All input appreciated :) Thank you. Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Gongloff, 7:21 AM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 08:28 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PS Control Valve-Pitman Arm Noise (Chuck Gongloff)

With the engine not running it will move like that. With the pump running it pressurizes the valve and it wont move then. It scared me the first time I saw it too. I dont think you have a problem.

Quick Reply: PS Control Valve-Pitman Arm Noise