C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension removal question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 09:34 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension removal question

Ok- I have the spring, halfshafts and strut rod bracket off and am soaking the trailing arm bolts and shims with PB Blaster.
My question is: Would it be easier to I try to drive the shock mounts out before or after the trailing arms are off the car? The castle nuts on the shock mounts were pretty frozen up so I suspect the mounts will be as well. I have the shock mount removal tool and just wonder whether it may be easier with the trailing arms off the car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:41 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (R. Bruno)

If you have a way to secure them real well you can work on it easier off the car, but I did mine on the car. If they have been on a long time they are hard to knock out by hand. Air hammer will make short work of them if you have one.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:25 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (BLT-71)

Thanks LT1. They have never been off the car as near as I can tell. I have an air hammer but am not sure what you mean. Do you mean use the hammer on the shims or on the shock mount? If you used it on the shock mount, how did you do it, seems like it would slip of the end.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The key is being able to keep the trailing arms from slipping as you may have to hit the mount pretty hard to remove it (with at least a 2 1/2 lb. hammer). If you don't have a good vice bolted down solidly to a work bench, you may have trouble. Mine came out fairly easy, but the vette had not been in salt, snow, or sand and had relatively few miles on it. If they don't move very easy, spray with PB Blaster and hit them back in once you get them loose. That will help to loosen them up for complete removal. Once I got mine loose, I used a "pickle fork" ball joint tool to get them out the rest of the way.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:16 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (sharklover)

Old 01-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to replace the strut rod bushings or entire strut rod. In order to remove shock/strut mount would applying heat be of any help along with hitting with a good size hammer?? Also, in the tech section, there is a makeshift tool to remove strut mount. Nut same size as castle nut along with a bolt. Screw new nut/bolt onto strut mount and there it is.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:31 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (Vettesic)

One thing to check WHEN you get the shock support out is the bearing support. These can crack and break if you hit them hard. You can try some heat on the bearing support arms to break loose and rust but watch where you hit things with that 2 lb hammer.
Gary
Old 01-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (Vettesic)

I knocked mine out with the trailing arm still in the car. Its pretty easy to get a good swing on em with a heavy maul. If you dont have a big vice bolted on a heavy bench, definatly do it while they are the car.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:55 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (Jvette73)

do it while its on the car.

install the shock knocker tool

AND HAMMER THE @#$@$@ OUTTA IT!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :blueangel:
Old 01-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed my struts and shock mount last weekend for a strut bushing job. I made my own mount removal tool by drilling and taping one end of a 1inch diameter hardened steel rod, about 6inches long. One end screws onto the mount about 2inches, and allows you to whack the other end. As the mount comes out, unscrew the tool a little, and whack :smash: some more. I was lucky though... :blueangel: they came out easy. :cheers:
Old 01-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (Silvr77)

unscrew the tool a little, and whack :smash: some more.
Just don't do this with the shock removal tool that you bought as you will kill the threads on the shock mount.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't do this with the shock removal tool that you bought as you will kill the threads on the shock mount.
True!!! Thats why mine is threaded just enough to bottom out on the end of the mount... and once you get it started.. it does take much less :smash:
Old 01-13-2002, 05:13 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (Silvr77)

Thanks all. I got one with a lot of PB blaster a lot of wacks with a 21/2 and later a 8-10 lb. sledge hammer and a pickle fork as suggested here. Those things are really stuck but I'm getting close to getting on to the trailing arm removal. That should be really fun!!! :smash:
Old 01-13-2002, 05:30 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took mine out last month. On my 32 year old car they simply would not come out. I ended up destroying them (trying to get them out) and then cutting them out. I had to buy new ones. :chevy
Old 01-13-2002, 07:17 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Rear suspension removal question (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Well 69 Rat, I may be going the same route w/ one of them. Got one out but I pounded the ZIP removal tool to kingdom come- until the threads stripped out of it, and I was tightening it often. The threads on the shock mount stayed on but the inside of the "tool" is smooth as glass. :eek: Did you cut them out with a cutting tool?

Get notified of new replies

To Rear suspension removal question

Quick Reply: Rear suspension removal question