C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 10:59 AM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter Wiring???

I need some help with the wiring for my new starter. Does anyone have a link that shows HOW the wiring is routing and describes WHAT the wiring is for. I'm reall confused here, and would like to learn more about how this thing works with the rest of my electrical system?? THANKS!!! :crazy:
Old 01-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Starter Wiring??? (72Shark)

On the 72 there are or should be 4 wires. A big red whicjh is the lead from the battery. A smaller red wire with a big lug that is power for the car, A purple wire from the ignition switch that goes to the S terminal on the starter. This energizes the starter to get it going. The yellow wire goes to the coil which is a resistor wire It is connected to the R terminal. This gives the coil a 12 volt boost to give it extra power while starting. This is needed if you still are running points. If you have an electronic or CD box this is not needed. I just tapped mine out of the way. There should also be a ground wire (black) somewhere around the starter. Might be on the bellhousing. Hope this helps You should get a wiring diagram for the 72 this will explain a lot and where the wires go.

[Modified by Gordonm, 11:12 AM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Re: Starter Wiring??? (72Shark)

This might help.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Wiring???

Quick Reply: Starter Wiring???