C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with pressure plate ordering!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 10:21 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Help needed with pressure plate ordering!

Clutch, bellhousing, flywheel and pressure plate are in turn to be ordered now in my never ending list of needed parts :lol: !
As for clutch I'm going for Centerforce Dual Friction set up part#DF148552
As for Bellhousing I'm going for Lakewoods blow proof part#15000

I couldn't find right flywheel from Summit racing, can you guys tell me who sells them? What is the difference between a flywheel and a flexplate they look the same to me? I did find many flexplate like TCIs 168teeth unit for 454 BBC could I use this??? The part#399473

And as for pressure plate I was thinking about Hayes part#34-618 DOES ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE THIS? Or what else I should look for. Any suggestions!?!?
TIA Jay

[Modified by groovyjay, 8:27 AM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Jasonty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help needed with pressure plate ordering! (groovyjay)

I don't know about the parts, or where you can get them, but a flywheel is used with manual transmissions, and a flexplate is used with automatics. The flywheel has a surface for the clutch assembly to hit when you engage the clutch, while a flexplate just bolts up to the torque converter, and spins as one unit. Hope that helps....
Old 01-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay, here's what you need to know:

1. The Dual Friction includes a pressure plate. In fact, Centerforce won't sell you just the Dual Friction pressure plate. You have to buy both the pressure plate and clutch disk as a package deal.

2. To mate to your 26 spline Richmond, you'll need an 11" 26 spline clutch assembly. Stock 69's used a 10 spline, 11" clutch.

3. "Flexplates" are used to mate an automatic transmission to the engine, so you don't want one! A "flywheel" has a machined surface that the clutch pushes against to connect the engine and transmission. A flexplate bolts tightly to an automatic's torque converter. Flexplates for autos, flywheels for manuals, no exceptions.

You need a 14" flywheel to mate with the Centerforce clutch. The only thing to worry about is balancing. Get a flywheel that matches the balance system used by your engine. Is your engine internally or externally balanced? All 454's from the factory were externally balanced, so yours probably is too. Let me know if you need help figuring out your balancing.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

[Modified by Flareside, 10:21 AM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 11:55 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help needed with pressure plate ordering! (Flareside)

Joe, you're a savior!I have never had to deal with manual tranny part so all this is kinda new to me.
So do you think I'll be safe with CF DF 11inch in diameter, 1 1/8" input shaft and 26 spline? And I don't need to buy separate presureplate?
Thanks for sorting out the flex-/flywheel difference!
Now do you know where can I buy one of those 14" flywheels, by searching Summit racing web site I couln't find any to fit my car.
About the balancing issue I'm just trying to call my engine builder, with no luck so far. I'll keep trying. :cheers:
Thanks again Joe
Old 01-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you engine is externally balanced like I think it is, here's what you need: http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...d=909&pid=1271 I bought my engine block from these guys a few weeks ago, and they were great to deal with. The GM part number is 3993827. Internal would be 3991469. Flywheels are pretty common, so it's also easy to find a used one for less money, but it will probably need resurfacing ($40).

You can also buy this type of flywheel from aftermarket manufacturers if you'd like, but I don't have any experience with any of them. Maybe somebody else does? I forgot to mention before, you need a 168 tooth flywheel. http://www.flatlander.com also has some great prices on RAM flywheels.

Check this out for everything you ever wanted to know about clutches and more: http://www.ramclutches.com/Clutch%20...university.htm
Old 01-12-2002, 01:19 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help needed with pressure plate ordering! (Flareside)

Thanks Joe. My engine is externally balanced. I just ordered everything I needed+I BOUGHT THE NEW WHEELS AS WELL!!! My poor VISA card is starting to come apart :) !
I'm in a helluwa hurry just nnow, so I'll talk to you later about the details!
Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed with pressure plate ordering!

Quick Reply: Help needed with pressure plate ordering!