C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 07:29 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice on engine mods

I have a 75 L-48 (all stock). I want to upgrade to some vortec heads and new intake, then headers and true duals. I am curious about the internals of the block. It runs very well now, smooth as can be but just not enough power. The compression checks fine (from what my mechanic told me).

Do you think that it would be ok to leave the bottom end as is?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 PM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice on engine mods (flood)

Flood this is strictly my own opinion here, but with the new heads there should be an increase in compression. Depending on just how many miles are on the car I would think that there can be some damage done down the road. If you are going to go through all that work to install the new heads, you are down to the block and pistons already. Some of that work would be easier done with the motor out of the car anyway. I just feel that to go through all that work may as well go the extra mile and do it all. Talk about a serious case of the "while you are in theres" :crazy:
Just my .02
JoeB
Old 01-11-2002, 08:03 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Advice on engine mods (woodworkr)

i agree with woodworkr while your there do it ..do it once and forget about it...how many miles are on the motor now?Did he tell you what the compression was for all cylinders?

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 7:04 PM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Advice on engine mods (pats406nitrovette)

Heck, slid in a cam and forget about it.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:15 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Advice on engine mods (Paul 75 L82)

Gotta agree w/Paul on this one.....slide in a decent street cam (260H,268H, XE256H,XE262H), a good DUAL Plane intake, get rid of that stock exhaust system if ya legally can, and be prepared to "Hold On" compared to stock...... :lol: :flag :seeya
Old 01-12-2002, 01:56 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My post makes it 3 for doing it right to help eliminate the possibility of it grenading on you while you are out having fun with that new power.Adding power to 27 year old internals?Might cost you in the very near future not only money but time .It will start burning oil in a short period after the head replacement also.
The count is 3 for doing it all at once.
2 for not.
Who is next? :D
Old 01-12-2002, 07:59 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Advice on engine mods (mountainmotor)

just prepare your checkbook, then run it hard with no mercy.
when i got my 61 in 1975, i got a 283 for $50 to replace the blown-up one, put fulie heads on it and had a ball for 10,000 miles. it never did quit. Took it out for a 350.
your results may vary :lol:

if and when it blows, buy a GM crate motor.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:03 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Advice on engine mods (drives61)

i vote for pull the engine... replace/repair everything... and then go blow your motor up... pull it apart and say "next time i need better bearings.." repeat the process untill you have the engine you like and buy back up parts for it...
Old 01-15-2002, 06:56 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Advice on engine mods (ZD75blue)

Yeah, I am in kind of a rock and a hard place. I think the cam and exhaust is a good idea. I really want a crate motor but I can't really afford it as easily as I can 1000 bucks. I think a cam and exhaust will make a performance increase that i desire and then I can save for the crate motor.

Decisions decisions..Sometimes I wish my motor was blown cause then I could justify pulling it and dropping in a whole new one. but it runs great now , its just too slow.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:12 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

If you're gonna do a head swap, you might as well pull the engine. With the engine pulled you might as well at least check out the bottom end. Replace rod and main bearings (they're not overly expensive), then you don't have to worry about having to pull the engine again. I'm going to at least replace rod and main bearings before my engine goes in (it's in my garage right now).

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on engine mods

Quick Reply: Advice on engine mods