C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 05:34 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works

I've got to get some support from anyone in the Jax area, including (but not limited to): Orange Park, Amelia Island, Gainesville and Daytona.

Here's what we need to do: Coordinate with me on any financial assistance you will provide which will go to offset expenses. Those who actually make a cash contribution will get their cars worked on first. Those who don't will have to wait and there is no way to tell yet if he will be able to finish the "paid" ones and still have time to work on the "freebies".

Lars is willing to do things such as carb rebuilds, re-jetting, distributor work, performance tuning, electical work,interior work incl. door panels,up to and including timing chains. No big undercar work can be accomodated (no engine or tranny swaps, clutch work or exhaust).

Base of operations will be in the Jax Beach area,location to be finalized depending on responses. If there are a lot I will try and secure space at a local mechanics garage for the three or four days he will be here. If not, it will be at one of ours garage, perhaps mine in Jax Beach (if my girlfriend doesn't hear about it first!).

Expenses we need to cover are rental car reimbursement (approx. $200=/-), lodging (approx. $400), garage rental if we go that route ($100 ??) and of course...beer (approx $100 minimum!). This is a rough estimate but that comes out to about $800. So, if there are four of us that's $200 each, six of us $134 each, eight of us $100 each,etc. There is a limit on how much he can do and most of us have several things that need attention. I am certain he will work on cars other than 'Vettes if you have a collection of muscle cars for instance.

I am not speaking for Lars. But, I am getting the ball rolling to judge interest in the North Florida area. He wants to make the trip with his wife and will cover their own airfare from Colorado. If not us, he may wind up going elsewhere, so this is our chance to get him to come to our corner of the world.

As far as costs are concerned I'll use a recent personal example of what it costs to have a "pro" work on your car: I had my valves adjusted, carb "race-prepped" (supposedly), timing cover removed to pull out cam button, a custom set of plug wires made to order and the distributor worked on to get timing advance in by 3000 rpm. This was done by the best known high performance Chevy engine builder in Jax (no names needed) and it cost over $800 cash. So, if it only costs you say, $100 to get in on this you can see what a bargain it could be.

Well, thats my proposal. Anyone care to join the party????

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy

[Modified by marky mark, 4:35 AM 1/11/2002]

[Modified by marky mark, 4:37 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 06:26 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (marky mark)

Mark... that would be great...You have mail :cool:
Old 01-11-2002, 07:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

He's welcome to stay at my place if he wants to....I have a spare bedroom and such all set up....
and a garage full of tools, concrete floor....;-)))

geez, now I have to clean up the garage, oh poopie, that means the car too....it's all apart now....can't win.....

GENE :D :eek: :cool: :cheers: :rolleyes:
Old 01-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (mrvette)

Perhaps we could have a Fl-vettes event around that time.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Mike Wood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fine Lars, go ahead and leave our frozen tundra for the sun, surf and swimsuits that Florida is famous for. But when you return my car wants/needs to visit with you! That is if your not too busy jetsetting the globe and rubbing elbows with the rich and famous! :lol:
Old 01-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (Mike Wood)

Lars, How about a visit to West Palm Beach?
Old 01-11-2002, 04:57 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (Paul 75 L82)

O.K. Jacksonville, where are you???

The Jaguars are not in the playoffs, Speedweeks ain't started yet, the TPC is 2 months away and the grass has finally stopped growing. So... there is nothing going on right now which is the perfect time to get your 'Vette worked on!

Lars is taking a vacation somewhere and I'm scheduled to talk to him Sunday to set this trip up. If we don't get enough support from at least five or six people willing to spend $100 or so to get him down here then he'll go somewhere else (Palm Beach ???).

This is your chance. Get off the hip and participate. It'll be worth every penny, educational and a bunch of fun to boot.

Let's bring Lars to Jacksonville!!!!!!

Regards, Mark :chevy
Old 01-11-2002, 05:05 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Lars, if you and the wife want to have some good old cajun cooking I would be honored to have you as guest. Thats if you are in the Louisiana area.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:38 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (71,454,4spd)

O.K. Jacksonville now I'm getting a little embarassed. I can't believe there isn't anyone other than silvervetteman willing to take me up on this offer. This is not a scam. Lars ain't gonna make anything on the deal. The only thing he's asking for is some help with a portion of travel expenses in exchange for his labor. FREE LABOR !!!!! Do you get it now???

Post here or e-mail me directly. I need at least four, six is better and eight would be about the max I'm guessing. That would allow him to take his time with each of our cars at a leisurely pace (after all he is on vacation).

Lars, I'm sure are monitoring this post since your name is in the title, but you may be shying away from posting due to the nature of my request (for $). I thought this would be a good way to garner support and judge interest in the idea. Regardless of the outcome, I still plan on speaking to you this Sunday afternoon. As one who has already benefited from your carb rebuilding I can only state to anyone "on the fence" out there that you are indeed one of the "GoodGuys" who knows his stuff. It will be our loss if we can't get you down here.

regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 01-12-2002, 09:20 AM
TerryN68
Instructor

Mark,

I live in Lakeland, But I'm working in Jacksonville.

My car won't be rolling for some time but, I can help with a few bucks and I'd like to meet Lars and the vet guys from the JAX area

Terry
Old 01-12-2002, 02:50 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (TerryN68)

Thanks Terry! Now thats what I'm talking about. You obviously understand the great opportunity to meet and work and LEARN from Lars. The fact that your car isn't ready and that you still want to participate is cool! However, I am hesitant to ask for your money just to watch. Maybe a case of beer for Lars could be your contribution.

silvervetteman, I've been having some difficulty with my e-mails and didn't receive yours. If you don't mind please post here for now. I'm going to work soon and won't read these replys until tomorrow.

Let's keep it rolling guys and gals! This will be FUN and EDUCATIONAL!!!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 03:04 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Mark -
This sounds like it's going to be a pretty good time - I'm looking forward to it. If we have any trouble recruiting a few people for the event, post a note over on the C1/C2 tech Forum - there are quite a few of those guys in the area, and they're a great bunch of gearheads.

My thoughts on this are to do as much light-duty stuff as possible, since the heavy, greasy stuff like cam changes and front end rebuilds takes a big chunk of time, this limiting how many cars we can "touch." We can get a lot of cars running good, and have some great technical interchange, though some distributor setups/rebuilds, carb setups/rebuilds, some fuel line fabrication, performance tuning (I can bring a performance computer to test out results), valve adjustments and other general mechanical issues that would be of interest and value. Of course, if we don't get much participation, we can do some more extensive work on the few cars that do particiapte. I'm open for anything, and nothing is off limits in terms of what we can do. I'm checking on airfares right now.... I'll be calling you on Sunday so we can chat a little...

[Modified by lars, 1:05 PM 1/12/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 05:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (lars)

Lars, I see you are a Pontiac man too, I had a '70 Lemans GTO convetible with DPFI on it some ten years ago I did that project....HPP mag published it in Feb '95 issue....Injected Madness.....that's me!!!....but the editorial licensing going on there was astounding....lack of straight facts...

GENE
Old 01-12-2002, 06:24 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (lars)

Too Bad you aren't heading 1000 miles North to CT :jester
Gary
Old 01-13-2002, 05:34 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (mrvette)

Thanks for the post Lars > That's a good idea about the C1 & C2 Forums. Talk to you later today (Sunday),getting ready to go to bed soon (at 5:00 am???).

Gene, since you live nearby can I count you in on this ???

Regards, Mark
Old 01-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Mark... I'll come up to Jax to get in on this, no problem... My E-mail was an alternate offer here in Orlando but everything seems to be going fine so...... :cool:
Old 01-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

If he is in Florida the 25-27 of this month make sure to get to the Winter Regional NCRS show at the Hyatt near Disney. 130+ venders registered and a good showing of solid axles for judging. The best thing is its FREE. Mecum auction Fri PM and Sat so its a good time to see how prices are doing. Usually have 100+ cars in the for sale corral.

Tyler

Get notified of new replies

To Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works

Old 01-13-2002, 12:45 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works (silvervetteman)

O.k. Thanks Silver, you're in!!!

Need others to follow suit. C-1's,2's,3's,4's & 5's invited!!

Regards, Mark :chevy
Old 01-13-2002, 03:38 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

High quality dark beer, dude.... :D :cheers:

Lars, Lars!! What are you doing???!!!! :eek:
Florida??? They have hurricanes, sharks, swamp-guys with one tooth, cockroaches (sorry...."palmetto bugs") so big you need a .45 to take them down, snakes (they're ok), and Disney!!! It'll be 50¡ here while you're gone...top-down, LarsGarageBeerDrinking DiddlingAbout weather, and YOU WILL MISS IT. What are you doing to us..... :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :cry :cry

Jeff
'66, L72 getting a Lars solid roller build soon.
Keep on :flag :seeya :seeya
Old 01-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

You guys in florida would be lucky to have him, But send him back in one piece we still need him here.
P.S. Lots of beer, lots and lots of beer.

Kurt :cheers:

Quick Reply: Lars visit to Jacksonville Florida in the works