C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a new torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Shark79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a new torque wrench

A buddy borrowed my old no name torque wrench and proceded to snap off a bolt head, so it's time for a new one. Which ones are good. I'd like a new snap on but don't use it enough to justify the cost. Should I get a click type or dial? Can I get one off ebay and have it calibrated?
Thanks,
Kip
Old 01-10-2002, 06:41 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (Kip Henry)

I like the click types. I bought mine at the Canadian tire but in your case, I would suppose any hardware store should have it.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Sears Craftsman- $69.95. Had my Craftsman checked for cal and it was dead on throughout it's range.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a discussion of torque wrenches on this forum, about a week ago.

Here's my $.02: Had a craftsman click-type wrench, used it for a number of years, then the plastic adjustment ring broke, which made it so that I could no longer "lock" in to a particular setting. That's no good, because I had to constantly check and adjust the setting. Tried to take it back to Sears because I thought all Craftsman tools had a lifetime warranty, but that DOES NOT include torque wrenches.

So I went to Home Depot and bought a Husky for about the same money. Actually, I bought 2, a 1/2" for foot-pounds and a 3/8" for inch-pounds. The same plastic part, the adjustment lock ring, on the 1/2" Husky broke. I took it back to Home Depot and they replaced it without even asking for a receipt, because ALL of their tools are guaranteed forever, unlike Sears.

So... I'd rather have a wrench that never broke, and maybe that's why Snap-On tools cost so much. But as long as Home Depot guarantees their Husky tools forever, then Husky is OK with me.

Good luck! :seeya
Old 01-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a tool booth at an auction yard and bought all my tools in Sacramento from a place called United Tools. They are a direct imported from Taiwan, Japan, China, etc. I have a 3/8" and a 1/2" click-type torque wrench which I have used since 1985 to completely replace all the parts on about 10 cars including 5 engine rebuilds. I also bought a dial guage vernial caliper which still has perfect calibration. They are still in top condition. So, my suggestion is to check your local open air markets to see if there is a tool dealer around so you can get good tools at a lower price (3/8" torque wrench was $25 and 1/2" torque wrench was $35, but I bought them for 1/2 price with my wholesale license...I think the vernial caliper was $25 my cost so expect $50 for a good one of these. Also, China has some of the best quality...stay away from Taiwan and Korean made unless you know the dealer and can take it back if it breaks right away.

Another suggestion is to go ahead and buy the Craftsman wrench, but since it only has a standard one year warranty then purchase the extended replacement warranty which is only like $25 for 3 years, and can be renued anytime so you can always have a good working torque wrench at a cost of around $8/year...if that is worth it for you.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Chris B
Instructor

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (Gator81)

Tried to take it back to Sears because I thought all Craftsman tools had a lifetime warranty, but that DOES NOT include torque wrenches.
The Craftsman beam-type is made in USA, is guaranteed forever, and it's only $25. I have one, and it is fine for no more than I use it.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:37 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (Chris B)

For the problem with a craftsman torque wrench...

Pull the 'ol switcheroo
Step1) go buy one from sears
Step2) wait about a few days to a week
step3) return your broken one with the receipt from the one you just bought

if they don't give you your $$ back, at least you have two good torque wrenches.

[Modified by TravMsns, 8:37 PM 1/11/2002]

[Modified by TravMsns, 8:38 PM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 06:57 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (TravMsns)

craftsman... you can use it when you forget where you set your hammer... and they will take it back and give you a new one no questions asked... not to forget, if you wait long enough, they give you the newest model... not the same one you had :cheers:
Old 01-11-2002, 10:10 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (ZD75blue)

Hey Kip. I was at a Sears store after work today and they have torque wrenches on sale! I have a 1/2 inch drive, 18 inch long one from 20-150 ft lbs. Part # 94495 if that helps. I love it :seeya
Old 01-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Shark79
Instructor

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (82dukman)

Thanks for the imput, everything else I have is craftsman and I've had no problems with them I guess I'll head over to sears tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:53 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,355 Posts

For those who have had their torque wrench checked -how/where? sears said they could send them out buythe cost would be higher then a new one! I have a Craftsman wrench about 25 years old, it's all metal lock included. I have noreason to doubt it but am more curious to know about calibrating it.
Gary
Old 01-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: I need a new torque wrench (gtr1999)

I have 2 Craftsman Torque wrenches one is great and the other is not so great. I took it back and they replaced the internals of the head but it is the same thing. The ratcheting mechanism slips and winds up busting my knuckles. :mad The teeth in the fixed part of the head are worn down and will not hold. I haven`t even used the thing that much. But I have had it for about 5 years, so I am way out of warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a new torque wrench

Quick Reply: I need a new torque wrench